what is the role of R4 and D1 in the schematic

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
They are both a part of power supply.
D1 rectifies the power.
After this R4 and C1 will smooth the power line.
R4 and C1 will form a RC-filter to make very clean power to the input of amplifier.

So, R4 and D1 are important parts of power supply rail.

R4 and C1 along with R57 and C26 on the negative side decouple (isolate) the front end from the output stage. D1 and D2 prevent the output stage from stealing voltage from the front end when the power supply voltage drops in the output stage during heavy loads.

Craig

yeah preferably for PA use...

but I have a question on power amplification calculations...

like for a psu of 90v the power in load be calculated in with losses of may be 11% p = v^2 / R so here its

6400 x 8 = 800w but the power ratings are rated as 450watts in 8 ohms... Im just doubtful on my calculations can anybody correct me in these psu calculations..

Your calculation math is fine but there are far more losses than what you calculated :(
Copper and iron PSUs drop around 20% if lightly loaded (as into 8 ohm loads) and around 30% if into 4 ohm loads (that's why 4 ohm power is not 2X 8 ohm power but only around 50% more)
You also lose about 4V per output transistor, 2 more per driver, 2 more for either the Vas or the CC one at the other end.
You also lose 2 to 3V per emitter ballast resistor.

My question is about the lower (stereo) power supply schematic. In all previous forum threads it's mentioned repeatedly that a center tapped transformer can only be connected to a single bridge,and here we have an example of a dual bridge with CT. I understand that this is a 'floating earth'. But why the aversion to this setup? Is there a disadvantage in using it?
Cheers

My question is about the lower (stereo) power supply schematic. In all previous forum threads it's mentioned repeatedly that a center tapped transformer can only be connected to a single bridge,and here we have an example of a dual bridge with CT. I understand that this is a 'floating earth'. But why the aversion to this setup? Is there a disadvantage in using it?
Cheers

Actually - Good catch. Shouldn't work as posted. Relevant part with bad art. Two diodes in same orientation across transformer will not fly.

Attachments

• Bad PS (and bad art).JPG
    Bad PS (and bad art).JPG
    14.6 KB · Views: 98
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.