What is the differences between

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
major speakers and DIY speakers.

I guess speakers with top units would be better than B&W Signature or Komri (for example)...

Raven 3 and Manger bending wave trnasducer can make absolute transparent sound.

I have heard only Signature, and I couldn't figure out any special differences. I imagine they designed it very carefully, but the superiorities of quite good units may overcome the gap.

Anyway, the kits of Madisound or SEAS, Audax are designed at their best. Only enclosure and crossover differences..

How much wrong am I ? or How much right am I?

major speakers?

DIYers have 2 advantages
1. They can design and build to specific needs (room volume, music, listening taste etc..)
2. They can choose many more options usually more econmical than ready made speakers becuase they can choose the compromises they are ready to make.

lastly DIYers must enjoy building speakers. If you like to listen to music but do not enjoy building then buy. Good companies offer good value for money.

Rememeber that costs of driver, cabinet, etc.. are only 25% of cost of speaker. There is cost of distribution, margins for resellers, advertising, etc... too. Few speaker companies make a profit. Those that do dont make much.

Usually if you want to make a 6" 2 way using say Vifa units (M18 and D27TG45) you will spend about $250 per pair (drivers, box, XO). For that you can get a B&W 302 or something similar. So you can pick your poison.

Please remember all this are general statements. There are exceptions.

Questions...

Rememeber that costs of driver, cabinet, etc.. are only 25% of cost of speaker.

>> Do you think the rest 75% can beat the maker's design skill?
I mean with better units and parts.

Usually if you want to make a 6" 2 way using say Vifa units (M18 and D27TG45) you will spend about $250 per pair (drivers, box, XO). For that you can get a B&W 302 or something similar. So you can pick your poison.

>> What speaker do you think has better sound?

Generally speaking.. of course.. ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.