What is the best CD horn with a 1.5" throat?

Hi all,

What are some good (the best?) measuring CD candidates for mounting to a 1.5" compression driver?

Driver is a JBL 2452SL, use is from 650hz 'ish' to 17khz. 0 deg exit angle.

The horn will need to stand alone on top of a 12" wide cabinet, so conical with a roundover would be ideal, but if its not too expensive, I would buy anything just to play with if it measured well:D

Currently using a JMLC 350hz.

How about the XT1464? It is a 1.4" throat horn, but the difference is small enough that it will work, though you could enlarge the throat slightly if it helps you sleep better at night.

The wavelength of 17 khz is 0.797".

Would like to try a bit more CD.

The QSC ones are no longer available, but I would like somthing under 20" wide if possible.

I think I found some measurements of the ZXPC 15X9 horn once that were good as I got a link to them when looking for a QSC clone.
They do a 19 inch wide horn also, but I can't remember finding any measurements for this.

There is no "best" horn. The hardest thing about horns is integrating them with something else.
Crites uses a 1.4" Faital horn on the CornscalaD that is very, very good. A small adapter could be built for a 1.5" driver. If you google "Econowave" you will get a huge list of experiments based on 2 way horn dreams and reports from people that actually built the speakers.
Forget the idea of wide dispersion at high frequencies. Horns are decade devices and above the decade, you get what you get. If you follow the normal rule of thumb, you need a 350Hz horn for 700 Hz. That horn will provide gain up to around 7KHz. Above that it no longer behaves as a horn, rather as a transmission line.

JBL 2452SL is a Snout-Less (SL) design, so M2 waveguide or something like JBL 2352 will fit well and you can practically cross it very low. You don't need a horn, what you need is more like a waveguide.

If I have read correctly, M2 gets me to 800hz. It's certainly small enough to fit, but I really was hoping to get closer to 600hz. On the upside, response is stellar though.

I would prefer the JBL 2384 which reaches 640hz, however it is 30inches wide and I estimate I can cut off a max of 4 inches off the flange before cutting into the horn. This means it's still too big for the space unless I buy a smaller TV. Not a compromise I really want to make.

Last edited:

Appears almost identical to the ZXPC one I linked in post 1.

I have now found however that ZXPC make a larger version... So at the moment, this would be a front runner over than one.

The downside is I would have to 3D print a throat adapter. The upside is the horn abruptly ends at the mouth end, so I could make a flange like the mouth of the QSC to go on top and use up the remaining few inches of space available on the wall.

11" x 17" ABS 2" Bolt-On Long Throw Horn 90deg x 40deg For Many 2" Exit Driver | eBay

Last edited:
Mabat as shown great real world measurements of a 3D printed 1.4" throat with good dispersion above 10khz.

Might be an option if you can figure out his ATH program.

If Mabat can design a horn that uses large flat panel areas that can be made from MDF I would 100% be happy to 3D print a pair of horns.

Otherwise it's too much filament to 3D print a 24 inch horn in 300mm3 sections

Last edited:
Having just dipped into the ath4 thread, perhaps I could be convinced to 3D print a waveguide if it had special potential. It's worth investigating at the least.
Rather than derail the ath4 horn design thread, can anyone point me to any pages or designs that might be applicable to this project?