What is a CD Audio Buffer?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
a buffer is....

as far as I know... a unity gain amplifier. It is a means to do a couple of things. Basically it has a high input impedance, and a low output impedance. Basically it helps to balance 2 non-compatible impedances, and isolates the input from the output.

By using tubes , a couple of nice side effects can happen:
The buffers often add a little even harmonic distortion (and that is often what folks attribute the "tube sound" to), and if a window is cut into the chassis (if mounted in a closed box, cd player, etc) you get a nice glow in your room.

chofaichan said:
What is this? What does it do?

A good question indeed. Technically, it doesn't do much of value.

Output impedance reduction between cd player and preamp?! Maybe another buffer after the preamp will make it even better.

These type of devices are strictly mid-fi at best in my view. In a high quality reproduction chain they would obviously reduce transparency add distortion and mess up the soundstage.

But they work beatifully with low quality digital sources (are there high quality digital sources?). Just look at the amazing popularity of that most pathetic audio contraption of all times - the X10D.

Would anyone with a high quality preamp want to have a distortion generating, low component quality, inadequate PS device at input?

And i don't believe impedance matching is the main reason buffers sound good in bad systems. They certainly filter some digital noise and add pleasing distortion to put some flesh on the anaemic cd sound.

Of course similar arguments can be made for the use of active preamps as well.

I had for some time X-10v3 between DAC and amp - one cannot say anything against it - people tend to like the soft tube sound but after a while I realized that everything that I play sounds the same. Do not get me wrong - for some music is awsome but it somehow makes everything soft even the music that is not suppose to sound like that.

Good thing is - I suppose - it can make a bad recording sound good, however, it can make supurb recording sound just plain without dynamics and excitement.

Maybe I am looking at this too subjectivly but you can make very simple dicrete solid state buffers for very little money. The key effect of any buffer should be imedance matching. They are good in isolating pots from the pre-amp output for example.

Check this

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/nuukspot/decdun/gainclone2.html

and scroll to the title - Discrete buffer. Very simple and doable - worth wile experimenting.

Do not get me wrong man - I should not say that it lacks dynamics. It is just very dependable on the type of mucis that you are listening and the recording itself. It is very subjective (as anything else).

I will give you an example - if you play Enya you will melt to death how good it sounds with a buffer. If you play smooth JAzz same thing - but if you playe Impressions of John Coltrane, music starts lacking that angry edge that it should have. Some people might like it the other way. Also, if you play prog-rock like Porcupine tree it smooths it out. That music was recorded (parts of it anyway) almost to the point of clipping. It is loud and it is meant to be like that - buffer adds an oreol of mist around it - you loose that edginess that should be present in my opinion.

I hope it is clearer now. Overall it is a worth while for experimenting - you might like it.

I agree with Decky and others.

I use a modified X-10D between my IPOD and my pre amp. It sounds gorgeous. Lots of bass, smooth and sweet. If you like that then great, but it is not always appropriate.

You might sniff at ipods compressed files (I use standard setting, not lossless or anything special), but you would be amazed at how they sound through the tube buffer. Not as detailed at high end CD but nice nonetheless.

My X-10D has the Rock Grotto suggested upgrades to caps, and better tubes installed, also I made a custom power supply with a funky cable.

http://www.rock-grotto.co.uk/x10dcap.htm

DECKY999 said:
Do not get me wrong man - I should not say that it lacks dynamics. It is just very dependable on the type of mucis that you are listening and the recording itself. It is very subjective (as anything else).

I will give you an example - if you play Enya you will melt to death how good it sounds with a buffer. If you play smooth JAzz same thing - but if you playe Impressions of John Coltrane, music starts lacking that angry edge that it should have. Some people might like it the other way. Also, if you play prog-rock like Porcupine tree it smooths it out. That music was recorded (parts of it anyway) almost to the point of clipping. It is loud and it is meant to be like that - buffer adds an oreol of mist around it - you loose that edginess that should be present in my opinion.

I hope it is clearer now. Overall it is a worth while for experimenting - you might like it.

I usually play piano. Enya, wow, listened to that when I was studying in US. I bought her CDs to :p lend them to a girl. LOL. but her music is very good, so soft. :p
So the buffer actually blur the music?
Can I say it add some "air" to the music? Or Echo??

No no no - there are no artefacts of any sort - no echo no blur - nothing is wrong with the music out of the buffer. You have to listen for yourself and see the point. When you plug it in first time you will be amazed with the sound but try to judge it after 3 or 4 weeks with different music.

It is like with anything else in audio - you might like - unless you do not like it :D

Why don't you buy a second hand unit off ebay. If you decide that you do not like it, then you can sell it on. You won't loose much money - you might even make a few dollars if you buy well.

If you like the sound. I highly recommend the Rock Grotto modifications, and upgrading the tubes. Some people also claim that replacing the resistors with Audio Note Tanatalum types or similar, has a beneficial effect. This is expensive compared to replacing the caps, and I suspect has a lesser effect on the sound.

Or, you can build one from scratch using one of these: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Tube-buffer-a...ryZ12050QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

It runs off 12 VAC

Many people (including myself) prefer the Yaqin buffer to the Musical Fidelity (especially once the stock tubes are replaced).

My Yaqin cost me <£50 including delivery to the UK. If you are looking to experiment with buffers, this is the place to start ;-)

Yaqin buffer on Ebay

After the tubes are swapped out the next thing to do is upgrade the output caps. The stock ones are 1uF which will mean significant bass roll-off with most solid state amps. Go for 4.7uF if you can find some that fit - I used two Wima 2.2uF in parallel for each channel.

Yaqin buffer thread...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.