What inspired you to start building your own audio equipment

Joined 2019
Paid Member
Poverty.

My first project was the Powertran JLH 75w kit in the mid 70's. IIRC 3 pcbs. All the parts in a few bags, nothing labelled beyond the board the parts belonged to. Tons of switches and wires. Nothing marked on the PCBs w.r.t component placement. Handy instruction booklet with the circuit diagrams. I spend about a week drawing on the boards and sorting components. I borrowed a soldering iron and meter from a flat mate (who'd persuaded me to do it).

To my complete astonishment and relief it worked from switch on. No DBT or anything. The boldness that comes from ignorance and youth.

Reactions: 2 users
I graduated in EE but but didnt get interested in audio until much later in my career when I was less penniless so to speak. I started reading all the
audio mags and bought the equipment of the day like Naim/Linn etc. Then a dealer got me interested in an alternative pre amp made by DNM. I liked it
and the dealer then suggested I upgrade it with a "6 pack power supply" at quite significant cost.

He lent me one and as the case was made of perspex and quite translucent I could see inside and what it was made of ie 6 x LM317's. A light came on and I thought
"Is that all there is, I can make that" and I did quite succesfully. That was the start and 40 years later I'm still making stuff.

In 79 as a kid we had an Akai AM-2400 which I blew up as a kid.
And my dad never forgave me for that I think. So I wanted to give him something similar. Problem is nothing sounded the same. 2nd had units on the market had all been repaired and butchered and didn't sound the same. So set off to build him a Transistor amp which sounds just like the old Akai. Along the way I got an Akai AMP from the 80s with two STK ics. My journey here started with figuring out how to repair that amp. It was a total waste of time and effort. It was a simple fix. Just replace both STK for a few $. But it never sounded like the 2400.Then built did a quasi complementary. Now trying a Complimentary amp based on the Rod Elliot PA3a.

For me, next to my general nerdiness and the fact that i'm a big music freak, it's working in pro audio and learning to repair stuff. Then i was a dj and needed a little rig for bars with my crew, and we recycled old speaker parts and wood to a 2 way loud enough for bars to a hundred people. When my back killed my career in pro audio, i moved to hifi...

Reactions: 1 user
To my complete astonishment and relief it worked from switch on. No DBT or anything. The boldness that comes from ignorance and youth.
In the mid 70’s, nobody knew about the dim bulb trick. Service shops had a variac, and kids who can’t afford new amps can’t afford those either. I figured it out for myself in 82 trying to fix a blown CS800. Plugging it in at the end of a 100 foot extension cord and hiding behind a wall on first power up after replacing 15 transistors was probably not an option. That’s $60 worth (shop would have charged 400 plus labor) that could go up in smoke if there was still anything else wrong. Necessity was the mother of invention. Small amps were less destructive even with no bulb - the worst I got was a face full of 1N4002 pieces. Shorted PNP Ge ‘s - rectifier didn’t like it. Then came the 100 foot extension cord. Plug in, approach with caution…..measure.

When building my own “real” amps, it probably saved hundreds of $. Those 150-watters did NOT work perfectly the first, second, or even third time. I managed to kill a few 2SC1567/A794 even with a DBT. But I never lost a $4 power transistor trying to turn on an amp the first time. Miswiring, shorts, oscillation. Won’t blow it. I started touting the use of the DBT back on rec.audio in the beginning - and you should have heard the backlash I got. You’d think I was suggesting you work on a 200 watt tube amp on a wet bathroom floor, or build phase linear clone and run it straight off rectified 120V (and then run your band through it).

Now I run a dim bulb with a variac. Gives you everything you need - including bringing the applied voltage all the way back up to 120. That’s necessary when working with tubes.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I won't miss the dim bulb "trick". I tried it a few times and gave it an even shake. Nope, that's a poor way to fire things up.

I use a variac for tube and solid state. I have since I was trained how to service things and this was the tool. I was trained on tubes first. Learned solid state on my own before formal training.

You need knowns in servicing. Introducing variables isn't going to help you. You need to know what the applied voltage is and you can read the current. This allows you to troubleshoot without things changing unexpectedly. If you can't afford a variac, that's a good indicator that you can't afford other decent instruments that quite frankly - you do need. That's why we used to apprentice. To learn how to do things correctly and what you actually needed in the way of tools.

Whether you are a hobbyist or budding technician, you need to do things the right way. Hobbyists always end up fixing things for someone else no matter what you say. Or they give advice to others. Poor practices are passed on this way, equipment isn't serviced properly (but people think it is). Nothing but negatives when you don't do things the right way. "The right way" was developed over time as best practices for very good reasons. They may be inconvenient to some, but too bad.

I saw the ACA monos in a video and looked at the thread. Ordered the kit and then didn't get to it for months. Finally built it during time off around Christmas. Then I thought I could build anything. After that I built two subs and three sets of single driver speakers. I have been acquiring boards and stuffing them with parts. I am at the chassis finishing stage for 5 amps, 3 preamps, a dac, a streamer, and a phono preamp. I also have more builds planned, but decided I need to actually finish something. I got a little gunshy since the first amp I tested after building the ACAs, started a fire. Burned up an LM3886 due to a solder bridge between two of the pins. It is easier to spend smaller amounts of money to build something than to buy the completed product, due to family finances/accounting.

Reactions: 3 users
Yes, it is far easier to spend smaller amounts of money. Transformer $15. Set of transistors $20. Woofers $13.95 each, two orders. Tweeters $6.95 each. Eventually you get to build something worth having, not requiring a huge sum of money at any given time. Thats just how it is when you’re 13. When you’re on a “budget” it isn’t much different.

You say “I want a stereo”, but the price is $399. Parents say “Save your money”. A lot of damn good that does when you accumulate 40 to 50 and something “more important you should be spending your money on” comes along and you have to start ALL over. Buying a piece at a time you eventually get somewhere. And not pay the 50% retail markup.

"The right way" was developed over time as best practices for very good reasons. They may be inconvenient to some, but too bad.

You do have to start somewhere, even if it’s not the “right” way. I learned a lot more making do than I ever did in classes. If I had waited until I got my first $55,000 a year job (to buy all the right tools) before touching my first amplifier I doubt I would have gone as far in my career.

There wouldn‘t have been any etching solution stains on the floor tile in some of USF’s old dorm buildings. I’m sure they’re all torn down and built new by now, but 5 years after they were still there. If anyone out there recalls seeing them now you know who to blame.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi wg_ski,
I didn't either. I started with a Heathkit IM-18 I built (x-mas present). I bought military surplus (we had Crown Assets Disposal at the time) and got a tube oscilloscope, $18 at the time I think. I bought old test equipment and quickly became aware of their limitations and worked with that in mind. Once I got some idea, some service people took me in and trained me on the correct way to do things. What a difference that made! I was exposed to better equipment then. That really showed me you had to use the best gear suited to your work you could afford. It also showed me time is precious and rework must be avoided at all costs!

On my own, I bought the best used test gear I could find. Then I bought new, and it was HP of course (I did have a FLuke 8200A - fantastic meter). Even today I'll buy the best I can find, HP used is a preference but when I need new - I bought it. I now have a Keysight MSOX3104T, and 34465A and 34461A plus other new items from Keysight.

I put my money where my mouth is and practice what I preach. I'm not saying you have to put together what I have, that would be silly. I am a high end practicing audio technician and designer. But what is suitable for a hobbyist is equipment that is reliable, stable (holds it's calibration) and will do the job. Part of that is recognising and understanding uncertainty of measurement and of course, the best way to do things. That is before you fix anything for another person.

Look at any hobby. People who enjoy it will often know more than another person who is in the field as a job. For me, it is a job, my hobby and a very deep interest. I think anyone who actually has an interest and it is a hobby should be supported. But accepting things that are wrong doesn't compute, and it makes the hobby not fun!

I don't care what instrument you use. Just make sure it works properly, and you understand it's limitations. If you get that sorted, you'll have a very enjoyable hobby experience. BTW, there is a lot to be said for a VTVM if you understand it.

-Chris

Playing guitar and finding the electronics aspect, amazing. Then, one day stumbled across Electronic Projects for Musicians, I think by Craig Anderton. The first project I built was the simple Opamp buffer for driving long cables without treble loss. It worked nice and inspired me to keep going. Also, the CmOS 4049 inverter distortion pedal, the dynamic filter (state variable), compressor and nore.

This eventually led me to seeking out daytime jobs that used this skill set, and that just developed from there. Now I build my own guitar tube amps that I gig with every weekend.

Websites and forums like this one plus lots of articles and youtube vids have helped learning immensely along the way.

Its been a fun ride and I'm nowhere near done!

Best,
Phil Donovan