What happened to music after 1992 ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

Regardless of what type of music you like , i think that music as decayed so much after 1992 and i dont see any chance of returning to the gold old days quality (50´s , 60´s , 70´s , 80´s ). Nowdays music seems more about money than passion for a Concept of sonority . What do you think ?

Music sort of died for me when they started talking instead of singing.
The song would be ok until the talk started and that would just turn me right off. Music is notes not someone talking.

I remember in the 1970's going out and buying half a dozen plus singles every week coz I really liked them. These days I rarely buy anything.

I have to agree with the OP up to a point but the 1992 date is certainly debatable.

90% of the music you now see on TV for example consists solely of a boring beat with absoluly no melody and must be acompanied by dancers.
Is this music or dance?

At one time, bands were encouraged to be creative but now it's cookie cutter boring music "that sells"

There is now so much bad music that really great bands seem to get lost in the madness .

IMO, the way disco almost killed good music in the '70s, rap is killing good music today.

This pov makes as much sense as saying that since MacDonalds took over fast food, ALL food is the same...

You need to get out more.

I remember in the 1970's going out and buying half a dozen plus singles every week coz I really liked them. These days I rarely buy anything.

Thats an issue of disposable income, availability exposure and choice.

I listen to more new music now than previously because my kids expose me to it. Some I like, some is meh, some is bloody awful. But its coming at me new and fast, not necessarily of TV or broadcast media and not always "new" as in recent release.

In the old days, it used to be friends and aquantances that filled the same role, and we had plenty of time to indulge ourselves in this. Now, I see the friends less often and they have less to say on the matter, but my kids are there every day and have plenty to say.

Just like I did at their age.

In the US the means of distribution have changed. In the 50's on TV you could see Jazz, Classical and Blues music on the TV, there were a lot of college FM stations that had the freedom to program in whatever manner they chose without commercial considerations.

This exposed people to a lot of different musical genre's. The local station could go from Bill Monroe to Miles Davis to Quicksilver Messenger Service. They would play pieces of Music that would go on for 20+ minutes. That doesn't happen anymore. Radio programming is very limited and MTV controls TV distribution for the most part.

The Internet is offering some options for finding good music. There is still a lot of very good music being created it is just a bit harder to find the music.

yes there are old guys around........
I agree with a lot of people here that the good music is hard to find also because of the sheer amount. I don't have cable , satalite that is mainstream and that is indeed like eating at Mac Donalds and wining that the food is not as good.
I will never forget that I was listening to some Blind Faith (clapton/winwood) and my way older brother-in-law steps in and made the remark that there was no melody while I was enjoying the music tremendously. I am now saying that I like sound.
If a performer has a nice voice he can talk in a song as far as I am concerned I might like it , I might not like it, what is good music, 1 moment I like some sound another moment it is ok or done with it

92-95 infinite loop of musical death

If you can't get out much, or don't live in Austin like Sy, you can try the KEXP live performance podcast

Tie these 2 threads together - infinite loop. ;)

"Regardless of what type of music you like , i think that music as decayed so much after 1992 and i dont see any chance of returning to the gold old days quality (50´s , 60´s , 70´s , 80´s ). Nowdays music seems more about money than passion for a Concept of sonority . What do you think ?"

Where did the music go?
"Am I missing something?

Disclamer I am an old fart 52, is there any new music besides lady vomit? I just looked at my music collection, besides jazz and classical I don't think I have an album older than 1995."

Music sort of died for me when they started talking instead of singing.
The song would be ok until the talk started and that would just turn me right off. Music is notes not someone talking.
I'm trying to remember when that started. There was "Coconut" I recall from my teens, that one was annoying because it had the same damn chord all the way through. Before that there was "A Boy Named Sue." Or maybe the first one was "Big Bad John." That guy should have stuck with selling sausage and they could have nipped that talking-in-music thing in the bud.
you guys are so old...
Hey! I resemble that remark!!!

A lot of good things happened to music after 1992. Actually, that's the approximate year when techno-trance as we know it started to emerge.

My theory is that every time a "new element base" appears, there is a small revolution in music. In the 90's the new things for masses were quality sequencers and DAWs. Talented people took full advantage of new technology and created beautiful music. One might like/dislike or not care about new music, but one can't discard it's impact.

I ask this question all the time. I am listening to Johnny Mathis. I love all that music Sinatra Mathis Nat king Cole Mario Lanza. I can't imagine kids listening to that today. I was a kid in the 80s and remember the Jimmy Webb stuff Dionne Warwick Dan Fogelberg and Don Mclaine. Then I got into the current music then like Boy George Cindy lauper and that kind of sound Now I can't understand nor do i try. I truely resent this stuff today and I have lost hope in the current trend in music. I think MTV had a lot to do with it. Also the lack of local radio stations the lack of venues it is just getting more and more difficult to get music out there. I am a banjo player and even the bluegrass is getting more plastic and slick. I like the progressive bluegrass, but now you have to have that "look" I just listen to classical oldies standards and bluegrass and don't even worry about what is current as I totally wholeheartedly detest resent HATE loath Abhor this noise that is popular today. But it is what it is and all we can do is pray that people will turn back to real musical art that takes many years of study to accomplish. My opinion

This pov makes as much sense as saying that since MacDonalds took over fast food, ALL food is the same...

You need to get out more.
Get out more? That is like saying that the more one goes out, the better the weather will be.

As far as MacDonalds (sic).. you evidenly are not old enought to remember what a hamburger was like in most diners before McDonalds conditioned the masses to accept the now standard, poor quality McDonalds hamburger. ;)

Human nature being what it is, most people can be conditioned to accept substandard anything for the most part.....even music.

Last edited:
^ object lesson in missing the point. Or irony, not sure which.;)

Just in case though, my point is that you are judging all new music on the basis of a narrow and fundamentally commercially monocultural sample. If you got out more ie broadened your source range, you would find that many excellent/exciting/challenging/creative/technically brilliant new musicians and their music are out there.

You just have to be prepared to look.

Do people "accept" substandard anything on a conditioning basis? Oh yeah. But of course you first have to agree what a standard is. Historically, rock and roll was the music of the devil 50 years ago (hopefully still is!), jazz was lowbrow, the waltz was a sordid and ordinary time signature etc etc.

I think everyone agrees on polka, but that's the exception. Otherwise every older generation has thought that music was better in their day. Take pleasure in the reality that your kids and their kids will suffer the same fate.

I'll always remember a conversation I had with a senior citizen 30 years ago... to her all contemporary popular music was "jazz."
If I were to answer the topic question with my personal bias, I'd point to Garth Brooks, Nirvana, Kenny G, and Run DMC.
It's really only been the past several years that I truly felt a generation gap. When I was younger, tattoos were for sailors and convicts.
PS college FM stations in the '50s?

Last edited:
I was listening to some Coldplay just moments ago & found myself "singing along" (sort of?)..........just as I had to the likes of 'America'...so very long ago.
Things have changed of course but once a tune 'grabs you'.............

_______________________________________________________Rick........

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.