What do you like?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've been a lurking about among all the threads. Amps were easy and I feel comfortable with a chipamp kit like LM3875 or LM 4780. Speakers are a whole new game. I have not looked at audio for years but. the speaker market is just like it has always been with all sorts of claims, $ and little back up. A trip to various high end home theater vendors left me under whelmed. Would you really spend $20 k for a system? unreal.

I have a hobby cabinet shop that I can make most anything thing out of wood. Happy to post a pic if there are any other wood guys out there. I want to make a nice system for the shop with decent bass and minimum distortion. My old ears are not golden but don't like distortion. Right now my speakers are very old AR2's bought new so long ago I'm embarrassed. Sort of like listening to music with mastic/velvet as a filter. They served me well in the shop for many years so shouldn't complain.

Years ago the speaker choices were the same as now. I thought by now it would be sorted out a bit but found the same old claims. The trend seems to be smaller because of apartment and condo living. I have no neighbors except for the Wifey up stairs from the basement.so big is just fine with me, The shop is about 2000 sq feet with a cement floor. Right now the speakers are in the machine area on a wall but could be anywhere. Dust is not a problem with central dust control.

I just have to build these my self ,just because. I'm a DIY builder of all things.No options here.. Any recommendations of plan sellers and that have been well received I would like to check out. I like radical ideas and complex I love. So sealed,ported, folded etc are up for grabs.

Appreciate your help folks, thanks.

>>> What do you like?

Music!

Go for a back loaded horn and enjoy! I had AR15 and my parents still have AR92... I always enjoyed the AR sound. Many of the DIY projects on this forum will sound WONDERFUL and much better than the ARs you currently have.

Zilla

PS, you said complicated so my recommendation is back loaded horns... but I also love open baffle speakers (but they are very easy to build).

Last edited:

Is that an advert?

Voigt. No 'h.' Not all that much of a construction challenge though.

Assuming a construction challenge is what is desired, a large back-horn is going to be the most challenging thing out there for unsupported wideband drive units. Otherwise, I suggest a multiway design of some kind, or possibly a line array.

Is that an advert?

Voigt. No 'h.' Not all that much of a construction challenge though.

Assuming a construction challenge is what is desired, a large back-horn is going to be the most challenging thing out there for unsupported wideband drive units. Otherwise, I suggest a multiway design of some kind, or possibly a line array.

Yes a line array. Good call. I think that is what is best for this situation.

Think I'd go with one of those Eminence dual-cone 12"ers, give it a suitable tweeter and a big ported cabinet. Say, 70-80L, tuned ~40Hz. Apply damping to taste.

It wouldn't be much of a challenge, construction-wise, but I'd expect it to annihilate any single driver in a BLH when it comes to filling that space.

You could even go 2.5-way and add another 12" bass driver if one per side is found lacking.

Chris

Is Sus going to respond at all? Did he leave us to quibble amongst ourselves?
I swear, you could start a thread asking for advice, never check on it again and it will be about 50 pages long full of advice for someone who isn't listening.....along with plenty of disagreements and heated discussions along the way :D

Last edited:
Lots of people read threads.. I just did!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. The people who replied got somthing out of the thread too.So please tell me what the problem is !!!!!..

Ps only two pages long at the moment .. A long way till this thread makes 50 posts dont you think

Last edited:
What don't you like?

Uh, right now its seems to be me. Just kidding. I've spent hours goggling speakers and have decided not to decide but keep looking. It does appear a back loaded horn is a work in progress and not ready yet for prime time. I also think a separate sub woofer is a good idea. That takes a big design load of the engineer.

So less I hear I'm on the wrong track again I have to figure out how to do subs. Then after that I'll worry about the other half. Hmm do I have this backwards again?

So I apologize for not getting back but I had nothing to say until now. I will post next in the sub section if that's ok. I will also follow this thread if there is more to say about design. I work slow so patience please.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Uh, right now its seems to be me. Just kidding. I've spent hours goggling speakers and have decided not to decide but keep looking. It does appear a back loaded horn is a work in progress and not ready yet for prime time. I also think a separate sub woofer is a good idea. That takes a big design load of the engineer.

So less I hear I'm on the wrong track again I have to figure out how to do subs. Then after that I'll worry about the other half. Hmm do I have this backwards again?

So I apologize for not getting back but I had nothing to say until now. I will post next in the sub section if that's ok. I will also follow this thread if there is more to say about design. I work slow so patience please.

I missed how you came to the conclusion that BLH's are a work in progress and not ready for prime time?

There are plenty of great BLH designs on this forum that sound incredible. Or do you mean you want deep deep bass from a sub - in which case a BLH may not be the trick but a tapped horn sub will kill a conventional BR sub in efficiency and depth of bass extension.

IMHO, subs for that space are going to be very very large.

If you're not bothered by the last word in detail, but would rather a "big", "fun" sound*, the design I suggested will do the job, and do it well.

*search for Eminence 12LT on this forum - there's a thread around somewhere.

I missed how you came to the conclusion that BLH's are a work in progress and not ready for prime time?

There are plenty of great BLH designs on this forum that sound incredible. Or do you mean you want deep deep bass from a sub - in which case a BLH may not be the trick but a tapped horn sub will kill a conventional BR sub in efficiency and depth of bass extension.

One of my searches turned un Martin J King. Seems to be a mathematician. As the saying goes A physic major is a fail mathematician, an engineer is a fail physics major. So that leaves me in 3rd place. Who am I to argue with Mr King?

Fluid dynamics is probably one of the more difficult studies in school.Any thing to do with air is uncompromisable to 99% of the populace. Air is considered a fluid . I've played a round a bit with airfoils . Gave up when two PhD[s ,one from MIT jumped into it. They had acess to super computers and wind tunnels. The other thing I got into was dust separations for the home hobby shop using cyclones. Only only one University got in to this with the PhD/'s at work again. Their work was just so so imho. So now we have Asian made cyclones sold that don't work very well, no standards or ligit tests by the mags. A very highly controversial subject that I stay clear of.

I tried to find cabinet prints for the Eminence 12LT with out sucess. Speakers are available. Some notes indicate a sub may be needed. The big advantage of back loaded horns is very low power is ok to drive them so the Tripath,class D amp is a good choice. Cheap ampower however is not a problem any more since the chip amps.

I worked on Class D circuits at one time and they are tricky. Not suitable for most DIY's. The analogs are super stable and easy to trouble shoot for a lot of DIY.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.