What do i need? a DAC? CD Player? HQ Sound Card?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I use winamp for mp3 and foobar2000 for FLAC files.
About the hardware, using my crappy build in sound card from my laptop
until the new external USB sound card i ordered will arrive.

Yes , but too bad I'm late to your first query. When the new hardware arrives you will essentially be doing what I suggest anyway. I don't know how old your laptop is, but newer sound chips are not all crappy. Unless you are recording stuff most new inboard stuff is quite good. Go to device manager to find out what sound device you have. It don't cost nothin to try what I suggest from my experience. I use Winamp for everything incl. FLAC except video, and have found it gets corrupted over time. I have a brand new computer with builtin realtek HD audio, and find it gets bad sound after installing a bunch of new software and only gets corrected after a driver re-install.
It's similar to a fresh install of Win OS on an older HDD as a close analogy.

Last edited:
Yes , but too bad I'm late to your first query. When the new hardware arrives you will essentially be doing what I suggest anyway. I don't know how old your laptop is, but newer sound chips are not all crappy. Unless you are recording stuff most new inboard stuff is quite good. Go to device manager to find out what sound device you have. It don't cost nothin to try what I suggest from my experience. I use Winamp for everything incl. FLAC except video, and have found it gets corrupted over time. I have a brand new computer with builtin realtek HD audio, and find it gets bad sound after installing a bunch of new software and only gets corrected after a driver re-install.
It's similar to a fresh install of Win OS on an older HDD as a close analogy.

My laptop is about a year and a half old, it's an HP 550.

My sound card drivers are up to date.

Good to know that winamp can play FLAC, i just downloaded a plugin
that makes it possible for winamp.

Do you know why in some files in winamp the kbps runs up and down
during the song?

What gets corrupted exactly? i didn't understand that...

My laptop is about a year and a half old, it's an HP 550.

My sound card drivers are up to date.
I have used 3 soundchip drivers, win 7 default, HP, and/or Realtek? some work better for different applications.

Good to know that winamp can play FLAC, i just downloaded a plugin
that makes it possible for winamp.

Do you know why in some files in winamp the kbps runs up and down
during the song?

VBR , variable bit rate
it's a more efficient way to encode audio than CBR .

What gets corrupted exactly? i didn't understand that...

My guess is the device registry is changed by other software installs. Rather than investigating and editing them back, it's easier just to re-install the Winamp version u like to use, on top.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.