What difference does the quality of a digital interconnect make?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Quantum information is just a term identifying a method of abstraction to "black box" an aspect of physics much like electrical troubleshooting, but its obvious all the people talking out of the side of their mouth about quantum in marketing(which is not always hype but none here could tell the difference anyway) don't even grasp this basic concept.

Every electron matters every detail of every detail matters. Obviously signals transmit with more integrity through pure crystal structures because of their geometry. You all know your digital infalibility falls apart at high frequency which means it falls apart at all frequencies. Just a bunch of hot air mainstream conformatism of average ignorance. There is no analogue cable and or digital cable if one is good at transmitting one kind of signal; it's good at transmitting another assuming its tailored for its bandwidth using similar methodology. Better conductors provide for higher bandwidth and they matter because they transmit signals with higher signal integrity.

People always laugh at things they haven't tried(or can't afford to(more money does not always mean more but better processes do and those often cost more especially when they affect or are more expensive materials at the atomic level which is derived from historic value and not actual material cost)) and go into situations with their mind made up and hear what they want to hear(or lie to themselves and everyone else to save face). Honestly, with the attitudes in this thread do you think these people have ever tried listening to the differences without going into the session with preconceptions? Your mind is made up before you even conduct any tests. This is not scientific method and yes peoples ears are a way to tell a difference because no other method exists that is well defined enough to prove anything(Which means your argument is up **** creek; not ours. Since ours is the only way to prove any improvement and you can't prove anything either way with all of your analysis). Yes, people lie. Yes, peoples senses can't be trusted. Their tastes can't be trusted. Sure there is placebo and emotions play a factor mood etc etc but we all know there are differences in speakers so there are differences in amplifiers too and cables and people tend to think certain ones are better than others when you really dig in and read all the reviews(which is the only way to eliminate erroneous individual human factor). James Randi and Bob Carver adding their 60hz humm don't matter. I doubt if you tune things to make make them worse that it would be hard to tell the difference in quality of anything(Their own test setup is a cheat. Besides, getting everything right in 20 double blinds in a row is statistically very remote especially with a 60hz humm added). James Randi is a typical mainsteam mindlocked fool that is so ignorant of the world around him(there are so many more significant things he could expose but I think his grandest of all is reading archeological findings that jesus was not real which is very basic in understanding that all of mainstream television beats into you on a daily basis) that he directs his energy at what is easily provable and obvious to the ignorant masses. He is the kind of person which many in here are that gain some kind of sense of tribal and societal duty and comradery because he is a cynic that is unable to directly engage in those activities.

Are you actually trying to say something with any substance or just practicing typing?

Go to the first post of this thread. Digital interconnects ! Peter Daniles has more credibility than I do read his "Pushing tda1543 to the limit". digital reciver CS IC. This is my opinion that I am posting to anyone reading this thread for educational porposes. it was not a direct a replay to your post.

I have found in some audio circles the beliefs regarding digital signal transmission are at best avante garde....If you want education read Howard Johnson, Eric Bogatin etc etc, the information is out there we don't have to make it up.
Thread is to long to read at the moment.

RayCtech, so you have no relevant information.

As to cables, I would not use unshielded twisted pair to transmit a low level analogue signal in a noisy environment, but I would use it to transmit differential digital signals!

Why not?

Normally the shields negative effects are much worse than a unshielded cable.
But then I refers to a analog differential signal that are properly impedance matched in both the sender and receiver end.

I didn't ask about your materials or your tests. I asked about your ideas - which particular quantum phenomenon are you exploiting? We await your reply with interest. Don't let SY eat too much popcorn as the sugar rush might be bad for him.

That is something I became aware of more than 35 years ago and have worked with since.
As the research in this area have accelerated as the time have passed and they have had access to equipment and measurement tools out of my reach - I have received both confirmations of my ideas and have thus been able to improve my inventions.
Why should I reveal anything any other place than in a patent?

What are the negative effects of a shield?

A simplified example:

A "normal constructed" twisted pair cable with shield with 1 mm (for a easy illustration) insulation on the conductors -> there will then be 2 mm between the conductors, but only 1 mm between any one of the conductors and the shield..

Then remove the shield and compare with both measurements and listening, and you may figure out what the negative effects are.

RayCtech said:
A "normal constructed" twisted pair cable with shield with 1 mm (for a easy illustration) insulation on the conductors -> there will then be 2 mm between the conductors, but only 1 mm between any one of the conductors and the shield..

Then remove the shield and compare with both measurements and listening, and you may figure out what the negative effects are.
I note that once again you haven't actually answered my question.

I assume you are vaguely referring to some unspecified problem with cable insulation? A shield will increase capacitance and reduce interference. The former can easily be coped with, and the latter is a benefit. Have I missed something?

I don't like unshielded signal wires, but made one for fun.

0.9 meters, resistance about 0.3ohm

Standard coaxial cable, core risistance about 0.4 ohm, shield about 0.2 ohm

I could not hear more noise in music. Recorded silence sounds a little different, like there is a little more static noise, little spikes maybe, with tisted pair, but that is with ear almost against speaker.

Is there a difference with music, yes.
Everytime I switch from coax to twisted pair I notice a difference in sound-output level. I do not notice this going from twisted to coax, and I tried lol. Twisted pair sounds a little louder coming from coax. Does that make sense???

Attachments

• DSC_0026.jpg
    DSC_0026.jpg
    981 KB · Views: 161
As to cables, I would not use unshielded twisted pair to transmit a low level analogue signal in a noisy environment, but I would use it to transmit differential digital signals!

Or differential analog signal.

I did this in my last house. I made a differential driver which was connected to the line out of my receiver in the den. I ran twisted pair to the living room where I placed a differential receiver which then drove an amplifier. No hum, no issues.

I don't like unshielded signal wires, but made one for fun.

0.9 meters, resistance about 0.3ohm

Standard coaxial cable, core risistance about 0.4 ohm, shield about 0.2 ohm

I could not hear more noise in music. Recorded silence sounds a little different, like there is a little more static noise, little spikes maybe, with tisted pair, but that is with ear almost against speaker.

Is there a difference with music, yes.
Everytime I switch from coax to twisted pair I notice a difference in sound-output level. I do not notice this going from twisted to coax, and I tried lol. Twisted pair sounds a little louder coming from coax. Does that make sense???

With single ended you will not get the canceling of common mode noise etc..

I expect the level differences you hear are not a difference in level (at least not measurable), but a difference in capacitance, inductance, dielectric and metal in the conductors between the cables.

With a brand new cable it will take some time (depending on what material the insulation are made of) before the cable settles. In the time until that it will sound slightly different..

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.