what causes 'thick' sound?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I had a thick sound issue today, when I replaced an NP electrolytic that seemed to have seen the end of its days in the vintage Kirkseater speakers I got recently. Heh it sounded so dull after, eventualy I paralleled 1 uf and 22nf MKP which was made easy by the original value being 48uF and the new caps being 47uF. Sounding just dandy and fine now. If anything, a little better than before.

I feel that there is quite a difference between a warm sound and a "thick" sound, as defined by the OP. The first one, I associate with richness of harmonics described by some people here. The second one (thickness of sound), I don't really know where it is coming from.

I have known warm amplifiers that did not sound thick (this crowded and saturated feel). The little Nad C320bee is one example. Warm, but not very saturated (because of too smooth sound, lack of details, or "plankton"). Some BJTs amps make me feel that way.

I have known thick amplifiers that did not sound particularly warm. They had vanishingly low distortion, but lot of "plankton", lot of tactility, and complete lack of forwardness.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.