What caps for Analog PS of R2R DAC?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Guess it depends a lot on your audio philosophy and preferences. On my PCM1704 based DAC I only use polypropylene and paper/epoxy caps for all the power in the analog section, and that includes all power and reference conections to the D/A convertors. Tried a lot of combinations including the data sheet suggestions of big value electrolytics, but they just gave it a harsh sound. So I went back to bare bones with just the minimum amount of high quality caps needed for good performance. The power supply is detailed in the shunt reg thread at http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=711873#post711873

Get rid of al the electrolytics and you'll be happier :)

I agree with your point on electrolytic cap. I tried a few electrolytic caps inlcuding ELNA cerafine in the I/V stage (OPA2134). All of them make the sound grainy so I only use 0.1 uF WIMA MKP10 as bypass caps. Surprise, the bass is still full.

I will try some larger film caps at the Va+ and Va- pin of the DAC chip (AD1865N). Only problem is that they are physically quite big to fit.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.