What can be done for tonearm bearing?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have an old LP12 with Littok LVII tonearm. Recently I discovered the following problems: -

1. The antistaking force is not uniform from inner to outer. I balanced the tonearm with antistaking force set to zero. Then I increase the antistaking to 0.5 gm, the tonearm can swing from the inner midway to outer and stopped. When I increase the antistaking to 1 gm, the tonearm can swing all the way through. Is there a problem with the antistaking?

2. The tonearm does not go down at uniform speed between inner and outer platter. I balanced the tonearm and then placed two 1 cm squire paper on the shell. The tonearm can go down smoothly at the outer platter. However it stopped midway at the inner platter for a moment (around 0.5 second) then continue to lower at a slower speed. Is there anything wrong with the bearings?

IF there is problem with the tonearm bearing, can it (they) be replaced?

Thank you

Try this to confirm any bearing problem: put a guard on the stylus, turn off the antiskate, turn the tracking force to zero (you may have to go a little past to account for the extra weight of the stylus guard). You should then be able to use your breath to move the arm around by blowing on the headshell/cartridge. See if the motion is free or if there are any places where the arm hangs up or gets a bit stuck. If not, your bearings are fine.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.