What amplifiers to use for 3.5 way active speakers.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So I don't have to manually turn the amplifier on and off. Or did you mean why would I wait for a sale? Because I'm cheap. :)
Oh... well, that's easy. Simply use a 120 VAC relay (with 12 VDC coil) on the L/N power input wires to the power suppl(ies) for your amps. Then you just apply (or remove) 12 VDC to the coil and you get your switching. Note: don't use an SSR, and you'll want to educate yourself on the TPA3255's power-off behaviour, especially as it pertains to unwanted output to the speakers. Note again: the TPA3255 does not generally do well without a load across the output(s). Some well-designed muting may be needed here.

I don't think the EVM is going on sale any time soon. You might be able to get some second-hand, perhaps even NIB (new in-box), from the FS/FT forums here, HTGuide, AVS Forum, etc.

Last edited:
I solved my amplifier problem. I picked up two SpeakerCraft BB865 8 channel 65 WPC amplifiers on Craig's List for $100.00 each. 65 watts per driver should be more than enough power. My new problem is what to use for a crossover. Here are my choices so far.

freeDSP Aurora - I like it the best, but I have to pay for shipping from EU, I will need to add a lot of parts and time to make it work. The analogue inputs and outputs are balanced so I might need to add buffers to make it work with my un-balanced equipment.

MiniDSP 8x8 HD - Has everything I need but there is no way to access the DSP directly with Sigma Studio. This might not be necessary, also I see some posts saying miniDSP products have low quality ADC and DACs, not sure how much this matters in the real world.

2X miniDSP 2x4 HD - A little cheaper than the 8x8 HD, but managing two devices might make paying for the more expensive miniDSP a better solution. Same pros and cons as the 8x8 HD.

Something else?

I will start a new thread for the cross-over, which forum would be the best for it?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.