What am I getting myself into?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all!

I'm a complete newbie to this stuff. I've always been quite interested in music, audio and acoustics, though, so I decided to finally sign up here on the recommendation of members on another (unrelated) forum. I hear this community is a great resource and full of friendly people, and the lurking I've done so far confirms this. :)

A little bit about myself:

I'm from Montreal, Canada. I am actually in the process of changing career fields -- I've been in accounting for the last few years, decided I hated it, and am starting an electrical engineering degree next month. I hope to end up working in audio, but I'm not quite sure what part of audio I'd like to specialize in.

My experience in electronics goes so far as building turn-key PCs that focus on A/V performance (DAWs and HTPCs), but that's about it. I own a soldering iron and a multimeter, but I've never actually used them. :lol:

Anyhow, I'd like to start small, both in complexity and cost -- I'm thinking of putting together a CMoy headphone amplifier as my first project, unless anyone here has any better suggestions.

Wish me luck!

-A

So I finally got underway with building my first audio project. This is what I want to end up doing with my engineering degree --specializing in audio-- so I ordered the parts (total cost of about $30 or so) and used the fantastic tutorial at Tangentsoft.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Took me the weekend to do it, but I probably could have done it in a single day. For the record, this was also my first attempt at soldering. Believe it or not, it actually works! Drives my Sennheiser HD570s very nicely off a single 9V battery. :)

To finish off the project, I still need to add an on/off switch, and I'm thinking of changing the 3.5mm input jack to a pair of RCA jacks. Oh yeah, and I need to stick the whole mess into an enclosure. :lol:

Was a fun project. I might try a Gainclone next -- but not for a little while.

-A

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.