Wharfedale Super 10/RS/DD as studio monitors?

I've got a pair of Wharfedale Super 10/RS/DD. To my ears they sound somewhat similar to my NS10's, having rather forward midrange but I've never tried mixing on them. If anyone has experience with these, would they be good enough as a studio monitor? I was thinking making smaller encolsures, the originals are huge, nowhere to put them on the desk or even in my small room.

The Super 10/RS/DD gave favourable results when mounted in a 2 cu ft enclosure tuned by a 12" x 3/4" slot.

A larger 4 cu ft enclosure with slotted back gave clean bass down to 30 Hz.

EDIT: The main selling point of the Super 10 is its excellent transient response, courtesy of its exceptionally powerful magnet system which provides a high degree of magnetic damping.

I felt the bass was lightweight in the enclosure with slotted port I built for my friend. However, he was into classical music and was happy with the tightly controlled bass response. He felt the treble was lacking so asked me to add a tweeter, which did the trick for him.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
The Super 10/RS/DD gave favourable results when mounted in a 2 cu ft enclosure tuned by a 12" x 3/4" slot.

A larger 4 cu ft enclosure with slotted back gave clean bass down to 30 Hz.

EDIT: The main selling point of the Super 10 is its excellent transient response, courtesy of its exceptionally powerful magnet system which provides a high degree of magnetic damping.

I felt the bass was lightweight in the enclosure with slotted port I built for my friend. However, he was into classical music and was happy with the tightly controlled bass response. He felt the treble was lacking so asked me to add a tweeter, which did the trick for him.
I got the big boxes with slotted back panels. There are also Trebax horns in the boxes but I find there is enough top end so I have them turned off. Yes the Super sounds fast and very good in transients to my ears. The bass is very nice but hardly room shaking unlike my Advents. But I was wondering is the actual sound quality comparable to quality Studio monitor grade drivers? I'd love to try mixing on them but to accommodate the speaker boxes just for a test I'd have to move whole studio setup furniture around which is not an option. I've had these speakers for about 20 years, every year I pull them out, try them and put them back in storage but this time I want to do something with them as I feel they're being just wasted and want to be used.

I've got a pair of Wharfedale Super 10/RS/DD ... would they be good enough as a studio monitor? I was thinking making smaller encolsures ...

You will be aware that a passive studio monitor is designed to have a neutral, uncoloured sound and a flat, extended frequency response.

The link below includes the frequency response curve of the Wharfedale Super 10 and you can make your own judgement as to how flat it is.

http://ukhhsoc.torrens.org/makers/Wharfedale/Booklet/Page06.gif

I'm not sure what your present enclosure volume is, but 2 cu ft is realistically the smallest enclosure volume required to accommodate the Super 10.

P.S. Trebax horns? Nice!

http://ukhhsoc.torrens.org/makers/Goodmans/LSunits_Catalogue/Page10.gif

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
You will be aware that a passive studio monitor is designed to have a neutral, uncoloured sound and a flat, extended frequency response.

The link below includes the frequency response curve of the Wharfedale Super 10 and you can make your own judgement as to how flat it is.

http://ukhhsoc.torrens.org/makers/Wharfedale/Booklet/Page06.gif

I'm not sure what your present enclosure volume is, but 2 cu ft is realistically the smallest enclosure volume required to accommodate the Super 10.

P.S. Trebax horns? Nice!

http://ukhhsoc.torrens.org/makers/Goodmans/LSunits_Catalogue/Page10.gif

Thanks for the links. I have the Trebax 5K/20XL. Looking at the graph of the Super 10, it doesn't seem very flat, again kind of peaky, similar to graph of NS10. Maybe that's why they remind me of them. But if they need big boxes, in that case it probably would be waste of times trying to build something small. I might just put them away again and perhaps some good use will come in the future.
I also have a pair of Altec 420-8B I don't know what to do with but just can't let go of them. I used to have these build in a brick wall as a home stereo many years ego. Eventually we've moved and these "big" things no longer fit anywhere but I still hope one day I'll get to use them again. So from time to time I pull them out and ponder.