Wharfedale subwoofer on 220v only. How can I make this 120v?

So I picked up this active subwoofer wharfedale wh D10, but it only works on 220v. Its working fine, except I don’t have 220v.

Getting an external transformer would be my last option, is there an “on board” solution, a doable one?
I haven’t been able to find schematics on this one…
The transformer is soldered to the board, but I don’t know if it is equipped with the primary 120 winding…
Any help would be appreciated…
thanks
IMG_3734.jpeg
IMG_3733.jpeg

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
That is a switching type power supply and is probably designed for use in any global market (any mains voltage). Most (like a laptop PSU for example) work with no adjustment. This one may work like that with no adjustment required or it may be configurable on the board itself.

This is all hypothetical and without detailed examination its impossible to say...
Clues would be looking how those two big reservoir caps are connected. They might be configurable as a series connection for 220/240 volts and in parallel for 120 volts. That might be possible with link options on the board. Alternatively it may need no alteration and already be OK at 120 volts. Have you tried it at 120 volt?

More rarely the caps can be configured (by links) to operate in a 'voltage doubler mode' for the lower AC line voltage.

All the above is 'at your own risk, no guarantees'.

Reactions: 1 user
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
So as suspected, it looks like it may be configurable.

Without having one in my hand to look at and draw out the circuit I can't give you definite advice other than it seems it is possible.

It might be like this.

Screenshot 2024-05-27 064658.png

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
It sems to be a standard arrangement then and you just fit the new link which will reconfigure the voltage doubler arrangement (as in my image). It is the usual way of doing it but I never say with 100% certainty without having the board in my hand to spin around and check for real.

Having said that I'd be reasonably sure it is OK... fit the link and power it up :)

Nor the original 110v or the 220v, or my other subwoofers have a ground…. But do to potential hazzard, just in case, one has to be very carefull…. This is how I listen to Beethoven and Vivaldi… allways checking the temperature… you never know
IMG_3763.jpeg
by the way, it was all sarcasm. Just in case, you never know!!! Cheers