WEM Clubman - EL84 bias - hot, hot, hot!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Firstly Happy New Year all. :)

I have a WEM Clubman Mk8 opened up at the moment. It's working, and looks all original. A bit of hum and pot crackle to clear up. I'm checking the various voltages and checking the bias. The old Mullard EL84 seems to be set at about 150% dissipation! The voltages read seem to be as per the schematic and the resistance values seem OK. I've heard that Class A EL84 amp are often run hot. Is this correct for a WEM?

Cathode bias amp, 130 Ohm cathode bias resistor, 8V across, 300V plate voltage = 58mA = 18W !!

Any experience info appreciated.
Ben

Last edited:
Your schematic is similar to mine;
They do run hot. just like the Fenders and I tend to add a 33R resistor in series with the 130R for peace of mind and reliability.
Make no noticeable difference to the sound.
Check the grid leak resistor, I measured many at 68k not 560k!

Attachments

• clubman-valve-schematics1.jpg
    clubman-valve-schematics1.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 117

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
...Cathode bias amp, 130 Ohm cathode bias resistor, 8V across, 300V plate voltage = 58mA = 18W !! ...

Not done right. Plate voltage is noted as 270V, so there is only 262V across the tube. EL84 G2 current is large, shows in cathode current, but not in plate. I don't see where "58mA" comes from.

I get 14 Watts. This improves loudness per dollar at the cost of short tube life which is acceptable to musicians.

Attachments

• BenHoper-42.gif
    BenHoper-42.gif
    12.9 KB · Views: 115
Thanks, Useful input. Pushed me back to the data sheet - max dissipation 17W ! I didn't know that.

PRR - many thanks for the marked up diag. Very helpful. The size of screen current is significant so it seems.
I don't read 270V on the output transformer, seems to be 290V, as is screen voltage. But it's starting to make a bit more sense now.

Jon - I may add a series resistor in, I would like the Mullard to last a little longer! It's done 45 years, but a little more would be good. :)

Thanks all.

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member

Attachments

• EL84-'17W'.gif
    EL84-'17W'.gif
    7.2 KB · Views: 80
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.