Well, Mark Levinson is at it again... C-wave technology...

Joined 2004
Paid Member
I can not find a patent. This is something from a type of product Mark has been pushing for years.Now its electrostim to acupuncture that somehow can be used to spot PCM recording and they have the magic elixer to fix it. I'm pretty skeptical. . .

I want to be properly respectful to one of the high-end audio industry pioneers, but Mark doesn’t sound like he knows the first thing about how digital audio, or signal processing works. He doesn’t appear to ever have read (or understood, if he has read) the Shannon-Nyquist sampling theorem. I was trying to hang-in there with him even while he suggested that information significant to human physiology is lost between digital audio samples. Which is a faulty notion that helped spur the pursuit of increased sample rates years ago. I had thought that notion was long dead among audiophiles. I finally had enough, however, when he brought out that supposed kidney function study and asserted that it showed correlation between human digital audio dissatisfaction and kidney function. What?

As for the C-Wave technology, I heard no coherent suggestion as to what C-Wave supposedly even does, much less HOW it supposedly does it, aside from being some software algorithm.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
The way i have understood, Mark never designed and built any audio equipment. Engineer Tom Colangelo: 1949–2007 built the equipment along with John Curl.

I am wary of the guy, because he has habit of starting things and suddenly selling them off for profit, not caring what will happen to them
(or customers who bought the products):

"For reasons not connected with his products' quality, Levinson had to sell his namesake company to Madrigal in the early 1980s. However, the latter company has admirably and successfully kept both the products' credibility and the important cachet intact. Levinson himself went on to found Cello Film and Music, which made products even more specialized, expensive, and exclusive. Cello produced ultra-complex, world-class audio components and complete custom sound systems for the high-rollers in the new home-theater market, and sold only from its own showrooms. Cello also bridged the gap between the consumer and professional audio worlds with products like the ultra-sophisticated Audio Palette equalizer.

Levinson had envisioned and successfully tapped into yet another market. However, after 15 years, perhaps fearing he could not effectively compete in the fast-changing market for high-tech surround-sound processors, or in a market increasingly dominated by custom-install houses, in late 1998 he abruptly sold his interest in Cello. With Levinson out of the picture, Cello quickly collapsed, while Levinson launched Red Rose Music."

And he sold Red rose quickly, and it is no more as well..

Reactions: 1 user
THE PLOT THICKENS:

You can listen examples of c wave before/after here. It is down the page, or just click "hear" on bottom.
(well, kind of these contain also lots of EQ, also original files did not sound as good as same files from streaming services..)

https://danielhertz.com/products/master-class#hear-it-mc

I think i will try to get the trial if i can get it for free, and put here samples of pure C-wave before/after, no eq..
I think it would be "interesting" :D

Ah it contains insane copy protection software called Codemaster Wibu
Im not installing that **** on kernel level on my mac so sorry.
Not doing this even for science.. I have older mac though whicj i don't really use anymore, if i can get it running there still might be a change..

First, it was our kidneys. Now, according to their White Paper, our immune systems. Taken from about 2/3rds of the way down the first pge.

With pure analog, music lovers say they can get lost in the music, but it’s not the same with PCM digital audio because stress stops emotion. Another effect of stress is that it lowers the immune system which is what keeps us healthy, and causes deterioration of human response. Lowering the immune system is not desirable.

THE PLOT THICKENS:

You can listen examples of c wave before/after here. It is down the page, or just click "hear" on bottom.
(well, kind of these contain also lots of EQ, also original files did not sound as good as same files from streaming services..)

https://danielhertz.com/products/master-class#hear-it-mc

I think i will try to get the trial if i can get it for free, and put here samples of pure C-wave before/after, no eq..
I think it would be "interesting" :D

Thanks, for this link. I just finished a brief audition of each sample track. Each before/after example comparison was interesting. I could easily hear a difference, it wasn’t subtle. With the C-Wave processed version sounding the better to my ears except on one track. Speaking subjectively only, what I heard was the C-Wave processed versions sounding obviously louder, as though the volume control were simply turned up a notch or two. In addition, I heard an obviously different tonal balance favoring the lower registerers via C-Wave. It was as though the C-Wave version had simply been EQ’d. The final effect I heard, however, was more interesting. Just as C-Wave claims, I heard an increase in the ambient/reverberation sound level. As a consequence, I also perceived instrument’s and vocalist’s surrounding spatiality as increased. Relatedly, there was what sounded like the employment of modest amounts of Inter-Aural-Crosstalk-Cancelation.

Taken altogether, volume increase, tonal re-balancing, ambient/reverberation level increase and mild cross-talk suppression made the C-Wave versions of the test tracks sound like they were re-mastered copies of their originals. Praise, I agree. Whether, or not, C-Wave is some worthwhile combination of what amounts to, audio effects processing techniques, I don’t feel it helps to have Mark Levinson spouting late 1980s, mystical audio guru sounding and plainly wrong, nonsense about digital audio.

I agree, i listened those too and liked those C-wave versions more.
They were smoother and and had more ambient space/reverb, like completely remixed.

Problem with this music sample is, as you say, it is mix of two different techniques. I am definitely not against eq, i will have to build hardware eq probably at some point. I like to use my Luxman preamplifier to add a bit of "omph" on lower registers (around 100hz) to add smoothness and fullness to sound.

What im interested in here is actually the C-wave technology, what does this algorithm actually do to the signal?
There is not available samples to hear pure C-wave before & after, because these samples contain masterclass software eq + c-wave, so:

-I will dig up my old mac up and install that software, then i can do pure C-wave before & after samples and publish them here.. Should be interesting..

• Thank You
I listened to the examples, not very subtle are they it? I might be in the minority but I prefer the originals. The master class sounded like a Dolby tape with the decoding switched off. Exaggerated highs and the low level detail lifted. Then that annoying echo has been added. Levinson says in his interviews it is a carefully blended level of reverberation. Sorry mate but is echo and way too much on some tracks. Suppose to be stress relief? I would quickly tire of music coded this way.