Waveguide Driver combination

Joined 2005
Paid Member
I agree with you David. The compression driver matters too, not just the horn. And of course, the cabinet dimensions and shape...

Sadly, I have no experience or measurements of that combination.

But I can recommend the Peerless/Tymphany DFM2335 and SB Audiece H225 if you are looking for off-the-shelf compression driver + horn that does 700Hz to 15KHz with smooth controlled beamwidth (-6dB) of 80 degrees H and 60 degrees vertical. Surprisingly it's smoother and better controlled than the H250. I've posted preliminary measurements here:

https://www.diyaudio.com/community/...onstant-directivity-horn.405050/#post-7504030

Once I do measurements with increased accuracy, (increments of a finer 5 degrees) I will post in this thread to let you know.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Many thanks for your explanation.
Some of my thinking. Basically I would like to build a close replica to the P&G Superwax mini. (I can’t afford one and I like the compactness)
I would use the 2x FA123 Hypex plate amps.
My hearing is deteriorating and would be lucky to hear beyond 15k .
I f I go with the xt1086 wondering if I could extend the dispersion by mounting it behind a25mm baffle routing and continuing the profile of the waveguide to a wider profile!
May just turn out to be a waste of time too.

diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
if I could extend
Sure, it's possible. That's how I made some of my early DIY waveguides.
For example..

1. I took an 8" commercial horn and extended it with a baffled steel lamp shade,
2. Later, after designing a custom throat to replace the horn section,
3. Extending the mouth for a good match to the 15" woofer.

1.jpg 2a.jpg 3.jpg

Another option is to learn what it can do as it is now, and find the optimum woofer size to match it and accept the DI that it gives.
I would start with this and it wouldn’t take much to knock up the baffle.
Sure, it's possible. That's how I made some of my early DIY waveguides.
For example..

1. I took an 8" commercial horn and extended it with a baffled steel lamp shade,
2. Later, after designing a custom throat to replace the horn section,
3. Extending the mouth for a good match to the 15" woofer.

View attachment 1238277 View attachment 1238278 View attachment 1238279
I was wondering if this would be a way to extend horn you obviously know what you’re doing. I respect that.
other.

Joined 2005
Paid Member
Not that I have seen and I have no measuring instruments. I would be winging it

Well, then it would be a fun project.

It may or may not be your last project; depending on your level of success. It will be a challenge to compete with the Tasmanian mini.

Do you have woodworking/metalworking experience?

Where in AU are you?

Edit;
Also; I stand corrected. After looking at the polars, I concur with AllenB that the XT1086 is better suited to a typical 8-10” driver.

Here’s why:
“It provides consistent on-axis and off-axis frequency response from 1,4kHz to 16kHz in the horizontal plane and from 1,5kHz to 16kHz in the vertical plane. Horn directivity is constant from 1,4kHz”

Reference:
https://www.eighteensound.it/en/products/horn/1-0/0/XT1086

That is, if you’d want to use this horn to provide consistent on and off axis response; you’d focus on using it for frequencies higher than (to the right of) those marked by my green lines, as below:

IMG_2273.jpeg
IMG_2272.jpeg

At typical 15” will start to beam (send less energy to the sides) at approximately 800-900Hz.

Thank you @AllenB for pointing out the directivity graph above.

@Davidallen
Any reason you are interested in this horn and compression driver?
Have you already purchased it?

Last edited:
Thanks for the detailed reply.
Do you have woodworking/metalworking experience? Yes many years of both Electronics skill NIL, NONE ZILCH.
Where in AU are you? Northern Vic 3564
Any reason you are interested in this horn and compression driver? On reading write ups to me it had potential.
Have you already purchased it? No I have not
You may have previously read in my posts that I would like to build something similar to the P&G. I realise that a lot of R&D went into developing this stunning product. Although I have heard it, it received great plaudits at the recent HiFi show in Melbourne.
I will keep looking for a suitable off the shelf horn to suit an enclosure no wider than 500mm.
I have an Altec 511b in another system. Basically looking to downsize my system and my “living space”