Wavecor driver question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Due to this pandemic state, the sales are declining significantly, as I just informed one of diy audio store in my area is cleaning out their inventory and will cease to operate. Several interesting parts they carry are including faital pro and wavecor. As these 2 brands not as popular as seas/vifa/scanspeak/sba here in indonesia

I was inclined to some discounted wavecor drivers on their racks.

It was tw022wa05 (tweeter) and wf152bd05 (5.5 inch midbass)
The tweeter now at usd $40 pair and the midbass at $60 pair

I have a plan to build a 2.1 system with these 2 drivers as satellite, but still looking for options on the subwoofer

Has anyone use these drivers before? How do they sound? Do they comparable /in the same tier with the likes of scanspeak discovery range / peerless hds / sb acoustics nrx? Worse / better?

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2019
Wavecore drivers have drivers with very low HD but physic is physic and the low Sd 5",6", 8" show their low end with high raisising HD below 100/200 hz !

The price to pay with Wavecores I lurked for a personal project was the very low spl to targett those low HD (verro fivers are excellent).

At the end I found than the SB from the BAC & CAC serie was as well as agood if not better in the lows regarding the HD and with better efficienty (few dB more that are not a lux ! ) and lower priced.

No idea about their tweeters but the SB26 serie from Santa Baya seems hard to beat regarding the price but if you need 6 or 8 ohms units...

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
I have a balanced drive 8 inch Wavecor; the build quality and sound are very good. I went with a Vifa/Tymphany/Peerless instead because I liked the mid and upper bass better. Wavecor is a good choice, especially if they are on sale. Like SB, some of the Engineers were originally from the Scan Speak and Vifa original companies so they know how to design a quality product. To answer your exact question, I haven't heard your drivers myself but would not hesitate to try them at all.

So at that price I can rest assure it will be the best option compared to SBA /scanspeak discovery? Here in indonesia, wavecor is likely unpopular. Scanspeak and sb acoustics are the main driver in any speaker related conversation.

I can audition extensive models of scanspeak (vifa) and SBA, because so many of my friends use them. But zero info on wavecor whatsoever.

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
I have had very good luck with Vifa, Peerless, SB and others. Even the budget drivers are well designed and made. I have never owned any SS or Seas but have heard some. Wavecor has a good reputation also but based on what you have told us, maybe your best bet is SB or Peerless (in the USA at least, they have dropped the Vifa and Tymphany names and now just use Peerless exclusively...BUT, the Vifa tradition still lives on, especially in the more high end drivers; the Vifa NE series is an example)...

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
The wavecores has a better motor than rhe non Satori from SB. They have symetric drive like the Revelator...
Very lower hd than Peereles. Only peoblem with Wavecore is the poor spl...but do not need big enclosure and bigger Sd than the Revelators. Cac and Nbac are a good compromise with 20% cheaper than the Sbs but the Satori. To make it short they are nearer from Satoris. If 20 bucks more and the spl is not a problem, in your shoes I ll pick up the W.

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2019
The balanced drive is very good, possibly as good as some Satoris or some SS Revs., Illuminators. Like I said, I have the 8 inch BD. Maybe look at the NE series formally Vifa also (now Peerless); Wavecor also some similarities here as well. CAC by SB is also a good choice; lower distortion numbers than other drivers in this same price range...

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
If you have the budget; the paper Satoris are the ones to beat for sure. In my case, the Vifa NE225W08HS far outperforms my old Satori MW16...BUT, much bigger cone, VC, twice the power, etc...I am happy with that model for sure. It could be that every offering from the same OEM is NOT created equal after all.

If you are not in a big hurry, sometimes the suppliers have certain makes or models on special discount; that is how I bought my NE225, price reduced as they are discontinued.

As Diyiggy and I have discussed many times; 3rd party testing and evaluating helps "ME" determine what I might want to try next. The more after market data and info and reviews, etc.; the better informed you will be in your final decision making. (I am myself fully retired so I have the luxury of plenty of time and not much to do; why I am so extremely addicted to this crazy hobby now more than ever in my 50+ years of doing this!)...FWIW...

Cheers! all, may the COVID vaccines be soon in coming; the entire world is tired of this pandemic for sure!!!...Be smart, STAY SAFE!

I was ended up picking up the wavecor tweeter tw030wa05, I combine it with scanspeak classic 18w/5535 on bookshelf project.

How can I post a picture in this forum? :)

Apart from the tonality preferences, this tweeter is respectably spec'd. A steal deal at usd $55 pair I believe. Given other tweeter prices here in Indonesia.

I plan to pick up the tw022wa04 and wf152bd05 next week.

But I found another cheaper tweeter variant, it's tw022wa02 at $25 a pair

The tw022wa04 / tw022wa02 looks very similar in front, they differ at the back chamber and the tw022wa04 has higher sensitivity, and also it measured better on published wavecor site

If I intend to make a two way with the

WF152BD05_06_07_08
Should I go for the 02 rather than the 04? The tw022wa04 priced higher @ $55 pair

TW022WA04

TW022WA02

Last edited:
Any idea on what brand name speaker using wavecor driver in their product range?
All I can see is seas and scanspeak, easily recognizable
Sonus faber Cremona, gamut l5 using scanspeak

Cary silver oak using seas excel
No info on branded speaker using wavecor drivers

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.