Warm beer

You think it is coincidence that the bottles are the same, that Heinz is made with 148g of tomatoes per 100g of ketchup ie the same as Aldi ketchup?

Or that both Heinz and Aldi introduced a 50% lower salt and sugar version at the same time and both achieved that the same way by increasing the amount of tomato used for 100g of ketchup from 148g to 174g?

Do you think Heinz in the UK is the same company as in North America? Heinz shut down production of ketchup in Canada a few years back. French’s ketchup is still produced in Canada. Canadians boycotted Heinz ketchup for a while. Now it says on the label, bottled in Canada but produced in the US. Also Heinz and Kraft are a merger. Similar to molsons and coors.
Back to beer ... I drink sleemans clear 2g carbs, 4%, nice smooth taste, I do not like finishing hops, to bitter for my taste.

Last edited:
Heinz got out of India, they said it was purely tomato based, the competitors used to add onions, and other things, even the reputed ones.
Heinz ketchup used to separate into water and tomato paste, and the bottle caps were not easy to close, it would spoil unless kept in the fridge.
The others did not have this issue, and they came up with flavors like Hot n Sweet (Nestle), and mint, tamarind, spicy mix etc.
And it was expensive, so it is not sold any more.

Palmolive Shaving Cream is also gone, for that matter. No idea why, it was very thick, you needed only a little to get a shave compared to the others.
Not many electric shaver users here.

I've never tried Watneys Red but my BiL and his mates were serious real ale afficionados and none of them had a good word to say about that particular brew, only scorn and hatred.
Two of my own 3 favourite beers are Czech and one German and there was a really, really good Kenyan one but I forgot it's name.
I'm talking about the 1960s - what decade are you referring to?

They would struggle to outbid Aldi.
Aldi is family-owned and they are happy with a 2-5% profit margin while Sainsbury's for example has shareholders who want a dividend paid out plus a rising share price so they must charge more. For example Aldi pays more to the farmers for milk than any of the top UK supermarkets yet sells it at a lower price.
Also Aldi's own brand ketchup is Heinz with a different label on the (same) bottle but Heinz costs over £2.50 while Aldi sell theirs for 60p.
Maybe they are different in the UK but my experience of both Lidls and Aldi in Spain and France is that they refuse to raise the price of a product, they would rather go for an inferior product or force the producer to lower the quality of the ingredients or not include a particular item - eg. we used to buy Lidls Paella it was very good but then rather than raise the price the producer was forced to lower the quality. We only bought one packet of the crap that replaced the original - never bought it again.

Aldis has introduced so called 'bio' products that are entirely inferior to the original, they are far more expensive and inferior. They did an excellent St. Chinian red - a Sant Cel, stonkingly good, it always sold out fast. I'm sure the vineyard wanted a higher buy-in price. Being stupid Aldis refused and restocked with a really crap St.Chinian - guess what, it does'nt sell.

Also, both those German firms are very chauvanistic - they don't like to promote women to management. Having lived in both Spain and now France, in business the women are far better in business than than men, they are smart, quick and work hard - no contest. Far too many men in both countries have big egos. If I had arrived in both countries far younger I would have only employed women. My local Aldi is an exception the chef is a young married woman but having talked with her they never act on her suggestions.

They might be different in the UK, I don't know.

What I do know is that in blind taste tests Aldi products regularly beat similar products sold by Sainsbury's or M&S for 3 to 4 times the price and in Germany Aldi olive oil gets the same high marks in such tests as very expensive Italian brands.

As for produce a friend of mine is a truck driver and for some time he was picking up produce from farms and moved it to a delivery centre.
Every farmer he spoke to said that they are trying to get a contract with Aldi because Aldi pays better but their quality did not yet reach Aldi standards (especially since Aldi banned a number of pesticides) so they continued to sell their goods to Sainsbury's and TESCO.

You think it is coincidence that the bottles are the same, that Heinz is made with 148g of tomatoes per 100g of ketchup ie the same as Aldi ketchup?

Or that both Heinz and Aldi introduced a 50% lower salt and sugar version at the same time and both achieved that the same way by increasing the amount of tomato used for 100g of ketchup from 148g to 174g?
No, it is a deliberate copy. Heinz policy is their name must go on the label. Locally McDonalds uses their ketchup packets labelled on one side McDonalds and Heinz on the other.

Elsewhere they do not use Heinz. However around here that would not go well.

My next door neighbor used to be the product manager at Heinz for ketchup. That is where I learned of the policy.

Here we have a local chain called DMart.
They pay within ten days, unless there is a big difference in delivery.
The other chains ask for up to 120 days credit.
So they get product at a low price, the seller has a good cash flow, and DMart sells at retail at a price that was cheaper than wholesale at Metro (German chain, they had a wholesale only business permission).
So shop keepers who bought at Metro could not sell because DMart was cheaper.
Metro has since sold their Indian business to a local firm, after many years of losses.

I agree, the Germans are chauvinistic, and will do business only on their terms, which includes high profit margins.
Volkswagen has a tiny share here, their MAN truck plant is closed.
A belt for a Polo costs four time that for a Toyota. And they need more, expensive maintenance than others.
Bye Bye is what we said to them.

'Draught' beer in kegs was first introduced in Bangalore in the 80s, a mug of about 350 ml was 3.50 Rupees, at a time when coffee was 2 Rupees for 100 ml.
The keg was a steel one, with a nozzle holder that went to a dispensing tap.

A pitcher (jug) with 8 mugs worth was only 20 Rupees.
No wonder it caught on, as the kegs had a very low tax rate, the same beer in bottles was about three times the price.
Now it is sold in many places, and is not something I am up to date with...
I think it still costs less than bottled beer.

No, it is a deliberate copy. Heinz policy is their name must go on the label. Locally McDonalds uses their ketchup packets labelled on one side McDonalds and Heinz on the other.

Elsewhere they do not use Heinz. However around here that would not go well.

My next door neighbor used to be the product manager at Heinz for ketchup. That is where I learned of the policy.
I do not believe for a second that it was deliberate copying since both low sugar&salt versions hit the market on practically the same day.
Unless of course Heinz told Aldi beforehand their recipe for it down to the last gram of tomatoes they used.
Besides it has been Aldi's business practice for many decades (5 at least) to get their own-brand stuff made by large companies like Heinz but agree to never ever mention it themselves. For some time when this became common knowledge in Germany Nestlé advertised with the slogan that Nestlé does not produce Nescafé for anybody else. Heinz never did that.

Just got back from my local Aldi and at least half the managers are female. Aldi only has managers and assistants, both of whom get paid better than people doing the same job in other supermarkets.

Aldi store brand stuff is as good or better than most of the other big stores.
There DIY tools are very good too. Have a look at the thread on small drill presses near the beginning.
With cordless tools they sell the batteries and chargers loose and the tools without. If you tread on a charger you don't have to buy a whole new tool like you would with a "posh one".

Charles, there is only one manager per shop, not multiple ones and in France and Spain 99% of managers are male, both countries are very chauvanistic, sad but true, most mature men don't know how to wipe their proverbial. The women tell me it's a generational thing, maybe.

As to olive oil, having lived in two countries that produce olive oil - the French is always good but is more expensive as workers are paid more. Spanish is good as well. When we left Spain we arrived in France with 25L in 5L tubs, the best was the cheapest, coming from a small village outside Granada, the price varied between €11-13 per 5L tub. We have tried Tunisian (not good) and Italian is often adulterated and over priced.

Germans demand quality and value for money, so often what is sold in Germany isn't available elsewhere. When we went to visit friends in Aachen in 98 my wife was shocked at the difference in quality between C&A in the UK and in Germany. I once had a client who found it cheaper to buy a complete kitchen in Germany of better quality and ship it over to the UK, that was in the 80s'. In Germany Lidls have an online operation. Lidls in France is'nt as cheap as it used to be and they have serious competition from Netto.

Refugee1 - I agree about most DIY tools and this year bought an exception to the rule with some thermal tops but normally never touch clothing or shoes with a bargepole.

Charles, there is only one manager per shop, not multiple ones and in France and Spain 99% of managers are male, both countries are very chauvanistic, sad but true, most mature men don't know how to wipe their proverbial. The women tell me it's a generational thing, maybe.
Here in the UK about half the staff in Aldi shops are managers and the other half are assistants.
The difference being that managers work full time and are salaried (good salary + a company car) while assistants work as many hours as they want and are paid by the hour. In reality everybody does every job like manning the till, stacking shelves or cleaning spills.

A difference might be that Aldi Nord owns the Aldis in France and Spain while Aldi Süd owns the ones in the UK.
Aldi split into two back in the 60s I think when the brothers who owned it could not agree if they should sell cigarettes or not so they just split the company between them, drew an arbitrary line through Germany and decided who gets which country during any future international expansions.

Last edited:
Charles I know the history of Aldi. In reality there is only one manager, there has to be or you have confusion. So yes the majority of 'staff' are female, same here in France. Security are mainly Arab. It was great when Morocco got so far in the WC. There is one young Moroccan woman, comes from the High Atlas region. Got very excited with Morocco's progress and refreshingly non nationalistic, said it was great for all Arab people. Very modern, no bloody hijab or worse burka, speaks fluent Arabic,French,English and Spanish should be in a much better job, husband's a very lucky young man. Along with the Algerian security guy, a friend of mine, lots of chanting we me calling for the return of Al-Andaluz, I think the French customers thought I was a white mujahideen. Lots of North African foods in Aldis as you would expect in southern France - the north African diet is delicious and mainly very healthy, Tahini is a great summer dish served with air fried chicken thighs, drizzled with sweet chili sauce. I doubt you can buy Tahini in an Aldis in the UK.

Joined 2016
Paid Member
For me, the nearest of the big supermarkets is a 50 mile round trip. The smaller ones like Aldi more lie 100 miles round trip.
Tesco, Snailsbury, Asda, Morrisons all deliver efficiently and at a cost much lower that travelling, not to mention the time saved. Aldi, Lidl don't offer that service, so don't get used.

gpauk,
I'm lucky with s/markets but for everything else it means either a trip to Rodez or to Toulouse so the i/net is the rational answer. I once went to look at a house for sale near to Carmaux/Tarn when I lived in the south of the Aveyron, a round journey of 60K. The owners were a lovely couple, both had severe health problems, how the wife coped I don't know. Super U ( a Waitrose equivalent) did home delivery with a charge of €20 - no other s/market did anything similar, for them it was literally a life saver.

All over Europe we have an ageing population, the solution is simple and cost effective - communes/local councils could buy people carriers/small coaches and employ drivers to take the elderly on buying trips to s/markets/street markets (very popular in mainland Europe) to buy food and other products and make very important social contacts - good for mental health. Charge enough to cover expenses - an excellent cost effective solution to two problems.