Warm beer

I did a mobile disco gig a few years ago.
Bought a pint of beer and left it on top of amp.
Half an hour later went to take a sip and it was very warm.
So touched top of amp and it was red hot.
When I looked around the back of the amp the fan had failed.
Luckily the amp got me to end of night without failing.
You place beer ON TOP OF AN AMP?!!! I do not get it!

Reactions: 1 user
Ales are supposed to be drunk at warmer temperatures compared to lagers, especially India Pale Ales. Brewers added extra hops to survive the trip from England to India. At first, people would add water to the IPA when they got to the Indian ports. The British sailors (called Limeys) nearly had a mutiny. Don't mess with their beer.

Reactions: 1 users
Joined 2007
Paid Member
When I saw the thread title and Nigel as the thread starter I could only that old joke;

Why do the British drink warm beer?

…because Lucas Engineering designed all the refrigerators.🍻

Told to me by a fellow from Bristol.

Lucas…Prince of Darkness!

For the record I love British beer, especially Bass (which I can no longer get on tap, in a can or a bottle) and I like it at cellar temperature which North Americans consider warm.

I did a mobile disco gig a few years ago.

My embryonic, early seventies disco setup featured a liquid powered sound to light unit.

I gave my 'roadie' a bank of household light switches which he manually operated to flash the different coloured disco lights in time to the music.

All that was required to keep the light show going was to supply the operator regularly with a pint of lager!

I eventually obtained an electronic sound to light unit, but it never could quite replicate that human touch!

Reactions: 2 users
I owned an Alfa Romeo for about 20 years. Copper must have been expensive when that car was made. Also had an MG or two in my 65 years. People used to say the MG's had bad electricals. Made by Lucas. So I know exactly what you mean about Lucas.
BTW- US Marines and US sailors still call the Royal Navy sailors Limeys...

My embryonic, early seventies disco setup featured a liquid powered sound to light unit.

I gave my 'roadie' a bank of household light switches which he manually operated to flash the different coloured disco lights in time to the music.

All that was required to keep the light show going was to supply the operator regularly with a pint of lager!

I eventually obtained an electronic sound to light unit, but it never could quite replicate that human touch!
I preferred the brown ale on the wood. Hard to beat anywhere in the world.

In India, Lucas TVS is considered reliable.
Top is Denso, they have plants in India as well.
Bosch are the worst, poor quality, expensive parts, sometimes it is cheaper to swap out the alternator with another rather than repair a Bosch unit...for that matter Rexroth hydraulic valves (Bosch) are also like that, a new coil is 80% of the new valve price...double that of Yuken valves...so they too get swapped out.

As for beer, or cold drinks, I do not see the need to drink them so cold as to anesthetize my throat.
On a hot summer day, I would drink it about 10 C, which is mild by other's standards.
But the issues are.. one, I am practically a teetotaler, and two, the beer here is very high alcohol for the mist part, and I do not like getting drunk.
English beer has only about a quarter of the alcohol content compared to Indian beer.

And it is customary here to drink before food, so the alcohol is absorbed much faster, people drink to get high...something I avoid.

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
My uncle (bless his soul) drank beer with milk in it. Called it "Björn" (bear).

My father and his brothers (one drank Björn) was all offered a smoke at say 7. May father refuesed but the other "puked"... My father came to smoke for the better part of his life and died early in cancer. The other didn't and lived long lives.

//

For the most of us Germans a temperature of 5°C is best for most beers. Most domestic beers are about 5% alc. Beers with more than that can be somewhat warmer, up to 10°C.

Anyway, there actually are dedicated beer warmers sold here. Thinking of that alone makes me :yuck::boggled:.

My godmother's :RIP: husband :RIP: also warmed his beer before drinking. Once he put a bottle of beer onto the cooking plate, turned it on, and forgot it. You easily can imagine what happened. They had to redo their kitchen afterwards.

Best regards!