• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Wanted: Fostex driver parts/diaphragms

Greetings:

I'm not sure if I can be of help in your quest for parts. I myself have a single D-262 in good working condition, and have been unsuccessful in finding it a mate. Any chance you (or anyone else that sees this) have a complete unit that you'd maybe want to part with??? I do have another Foster mid-range driver that's fairly similar to the D-262, as well as a Fostex L-569 (Lab Series) 18"woofer, if those are of any interest.

I just bought a lot of Fostex drivers. Perhaps an idiotic move. I would like to buy diaphragms, parts/ whole drivers for the following units. I know this is a difficult if not impossible search:

Fostex T-845
Fostex D-262
Fostex D-232
Hi, I have a working pair of Fostex T-845. One of the terminals broke off and I don't know how to reattach it. Other then that both work fine. Make me a reasonable offer.

Hi Julian:
I have what you need. Would be interested to hear some details about your Fostex D232 project/application, & maybe I can help you out. What part of the world are you located in? You could send me a Private Message if you prefer.
Cheers,
Wilf
Hello Owald , i have a pair of drivers
Hi, I have a working pair of Fostex T-845. One of the terminals broke off and I don't know how to reattach it. Other then that both work fine. Make me a reasonable offer.

Hi Julian:
I have what you need. Would be interested to hear some details about your Fostex D232 project/application, & maybe I can help you out. What part of the world are you located in? You could send me a Private Message if you prefer.
Cheers,
Wilf
Hello Oswald , i have of D232 drivers , one of them sound slightly lower that the other , i have examined the Diaphrams , and the are identical , i cant see any visible damaged in them , so i am assuming that it could one diaphram is not working to its full potential , do this makes sense ?

Hi: my apologies for the delayed reply - sadly I never seem to have enough time to devote to this audio hobby!

one of them sound slightly lower that the other , i have examined the Diaphrams , and the are identical , i cant see any visible damaged in them , so i am assuming that it could one diaphram is not working to its full potential , do this makes sense ?
Julian:

The fact that your drivers are working is very good news! In my experience, the symptom you describe may hopefully be something other than the result of a broken diaphragm/voice coil component. Without presuming your skill level, test equipment, and diagnostics already done, I will offer some suggestions:

1) Did the 2 drivers always have differing output strength, or did the change occur gradually or suddenly? How are you using them? (i.e. high-power, long-duration as in a public venue, outdoor events, parties, or gently used in a home setting?)
2) The weaker output of one driver could be due to differences in the signal path before the driver, such as crossover components, wiring connections, or even amplifier output. Swapping connections between the 2 channels at various points, and as a last resort: swapping the diaphragms between the 2 drivers should help to isolate the problem. Do not overlook the internal connections between the driver terminals and the voice coil connections on the diaphragm itself. Can you measure the resistance & inductance of each voice coil for comparison?
3) A common failure is a burnt or melted voice coil - even if it's not open circuit, the damage should be evident in the form of darkened/charred/deformed voice coil wiring/insulation/adhesive/former, loose windings, etc.
4) Another common failure is cracking or separation in the surround and/or the voice coil former bond to the diaphragm. With the diaphragm removed and in hand, you can carefully examine all areas, perhaps with careful & gentle probing using a soft cotton swab. This type of failure may be repairable (yes - I've done it more than once!) depending on severity. With this kind of failure, the driver is more likely to produce buzzing or distortion rather than a reduced output.
5) Reduced output may be caused by the voice coil rubbing or binding in the magnetic gap. Reasons this could occur are: some kind of material obstructing the gap (example: dried-up ferro-fluid, wire coils & debris left behind from a previous diaphragm replacement, foreign magnetic material), misaligned or deformed coil/former, magnet assembly damage causing a non-uniform gap or weakened magnetic flux in the gap. Incorrect seating or shimming could also displace the coil from its proper position in the gap and/or restrict diaphragm clearance.

I might be willing to sell you a replacement diaphragm, but you may not like the cost! Before we get to that step, I'd like to be sure that it really is the solution to your problem. Please let me know if the above suggestions are of any help, or if any more detailed information is needed in your diagnosis.

Best Regards, Wilf

Last edited:
Hi: my apologies for the delayed reply - sadly I never seem to have enough time to devote to this audio hobby!

Julian:

The fact that your drivers are working is very good news! In my experience, the symptom you describe may hopefully be something other than the result of a broken diaphragm/voice coil component. Without presuming your skill level, test equipment, and diagnostics already done, I will offer some suggestions:

1) Did the 2 drivers always have differing output strength, or did the change occur gradually or suddenly? How are you using them? (i.e. high-power, long-duration as in a public venue, outdoor events, parties, or gently used in a home setting?)
2) The weaker output of one driver could be due to differences in the signal path before the driver, such as crossover components, wiring connections, or even amplifier output. Swapping connections between the 2 channels at various points, and as a last resort: swapping the diaphragms between the 2 drivers should help to isolate the problem. Do not overlook the internal connections between the driver terminals and the voice coil connections on the diaphragm itself. Can you measure the resistance & inductance of each voice coil for comparison?
3) A common failure is a burnt or melted voice coil - even if it's not open circuit, the damage should be evident in the form of darkened/charred/deformed voice coil wiring/insulation/adhesive/former, loose windings, etc.
4) Another common failure is cracking or separation in the surround and/or the voice coil former bond to the diaphragm. With the diaphragm removed and in hand, you can carefully examine all areas, perhaps with careful & gentle probing using a soft cotton swab. This type of failure may be repairable (yes - I've done it more than once!) depending on severity. With this kind of failure, the driver is more likely to produce buzzing or distortion rather than a reduced output.
5) Reduced output may be caused by the voice coil rubbing or binding in the magnetic gap. Reasons this could occur are: some kind of material obstructing the gap (example: dried-up ferro-fluid, wire coils & debris left behind from a previous diaphragm replacement, foreign magnetic material), misaligned or deformed coil/former, magnet assembly damage causing a non-uniform gap or weakened magnetic flux in the gap. Incorrect seating or shimming could also displace the coil from its proper position in the gap and/or restrict diaphragm clearance.

I might be willing to sell you a replacement diaphragm, but you may not like the cost! Before we get to that step, I'd like to be sure that it really is the solution to your problem. Please let me know if the above suggestions are of any help, or if any more detailed information is needed in your diagnosis.

Best Regards, Wilf
Hello Oswald , and a happy new year to you , thank you very much for your insightful response , i am using these drivers with a pair of diy oak horns and a pair of Altec bas drivers and crossovers from a ESS speakers , i call them my frankestein Horns because they are made from different parts, but some reason they work , the bass is low in comparison to to the horn drivers , but this was fixed by adding a couple of resistors , with good recordings these speakers sound incredible to the extent that i prefer them over my Harbeth Compact 7 . to which most Harbeth owners would have me shot for making such statement , but as they with have to go with our own intuition and how we enjoy listening , i use these speakers at home .
I am going to perform some of the tests you recommended , right now i am using a Rega ampliier with them , i have a Tube amp but i dont dare to connect them to , this tube has cost a lot , not only the price but also having to send it to France for repairs , ,Thanks again ,Best regards Julian

Attachments

• IMG_6774.jpeg
    IMG_6774.jpeg
    448.1 KB · Views: 42