Want to try omni - Am I on the right path, or where do I go?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thanks Patrick. I'm only avoiding a lens due to construction complexity. And in my mind, it limits it's omni direction behavior to the horizontal plane.

In my tests with a full range driver the "lense" had wider vertical dispersion than the driver alone. But there was generally lots of resonances.
It's probably more practical to build a on-wall speaker with 180° dispersion.

Attachments

• IMG_1668s.jpg
    IMG_1668s.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 117
Isn't the point of an omni to sit in the reverberant zone and enjoy the niceness of the sound?

I don't think so.. from the Master himself:

Room placement

There is no real limit to room size for PLUTO. A large room probably allows placement far from reflecting surfaces, which is ideal for most speakers, no matter what their polar response. But if you plan to sit further away than the classic stereo sweet spot, which is as far away from each tweeter as the two tweeters are apart from each other, i.e. the apex of the equilateral triangle formed by the the listener's head and the two speakers, then you will loose quickly in soundstage imaging specificity. Preferably you sit even closer than the classic sweet spot. In a small room you may be forced to do exactly that, because of cramped quarters, but since the speakers are light and small they can be placed conveniently. They can be very close to each other and to you, because of their point source like behavior, but they should be at least 2 feet away from large surfaces.

everyone is free to do as wanted of course, but if I had to choose a seat in the hall, I would be not too far, not too close, in the middle. wouldn't you? :)

How do you guys regard the Blade design from KEF Flagship Hi-Fi Speakers - Blade - Overview - KEF United States

With a low crossover of 350Hz the side firing woofers are omnidirectional. No possibility of bipole dip from the woofers as they are closer than half wavelength apart at 350Hz. The drivers on the front are placed on a very slim curved baffle and should be omni to guess at least 2K. So would this sound as omnidirectional as the Pluto, :rolleyes: with much higher SPL capabilitiy :D

Last edited:
Ineresting, this was the worst sounding speaker I've ever heard.

Yeah I really liked it. Very clean, huge soundstage, though admittedly it was diffuse.

You and I both have Gedlee speakers, and I've found that unconventional speakers sounds a bit 'odd' until you get used to them. And the B&O speakers are definitely unconventional.

Also, I've heard the cheap B&O speakers sound kinda crummy.
The ones that I heard were the flagship, the BeoLab5, not the one in my picture.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.