Want to mod Marantz CD53 (beginner)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi. I've recently started learning about electronics here and there. I have never modded, but I've practised my soldering skills and done a few things with LEDs.

I've got a Marantz CD53 and would like to make this my first mod. I've read some of the massive thread in this forum, but it's a little unclear where I could start. I'm looking for a very simple to do mod that gives a noticable improvement. Right now I don't think I'm up to anything more than simply replace some parts that don't affect the entire circuit and don't require me to modify the power supply.

Any ideas? Thanks :)

Hi Stabby,

never done any mod so far, but purchased one of these yesterday, in mint condition, even came with the remote from cd-63 :)
For detailed steps of mods, have a look here :
Marantz CD 57/67 tweakings

I know it says it's for the CD 57/67 but most things apply to the 53 and there are simple to very advanced mods explained.
So you'd first go with dampening the inside of the player and then maybe change a few capacitors and the op-amps. You can order cheap OPA2604 on Ebay, don'T buy the cheapest though, they might be fake. Make sure they are the real Burr-brown / TI ones :)

Unfortunately, the power supply is one area where great strides can be made.

Damp the case and top of the cd mechanism..
Glue a 1euro to the cd mechanism
Remove the headphone circuit
remove the muting transistors

If you replace the op-amps, use sockets to facilitate changing.

One of the best mods is to change the clocking to the servo circuits.
This is relatively easy but does require some technical skill.

Andy

Thanks for the replies.

My unit skipped, so first thing I did is replace the laser mechanism and it worked. I'm kinda proud though my soldering was a little bad (melted some plastic in the mechanism). Oh well.

Next thing I'll do is replace the opamp and remove the headphone circuit and muting transistors. Do I have to modify the power supply when I replace the opamp though?

Thanks for the replies.
Do I have to modify the power supply when I replace the opamp though?

Congrats for the replacement, though it was probably not necessary :p There is a way to adjust something to avoid skipping, but don'T remember how and it's not easy.
About the power supply, replacing an opamp won't imply changing anything, except if you use really special op-amps. You should go first with a OPA2604 or AD186x.
see Op-Amps - Op-Amps - OpAmps - opa627 - AD797AN - LM4562
and Best sounding cheep op-amp for CMoy's? OPA2227, OPA2228, AD8066...other? - Head-Fi.org Community middle of the page.

Have fun!

The player skipped quite a lot (every 30 seconds) and it's much better now, though it still skips every 5 minutes or so. Any way to solve that? The mechanism makes a bit more noise, perhaps because I accidentally touched the grease a couple times?

Last edited:
The player skipped quite a lot (every 30 seconds) and it's much better now, though it still skips every 5 minutes or so. Any way to solve that? The mechanism makes a bit more noise, perhaps because I accidentally touched the grease a couple times?

As I said, I am as beginner as you are, but I've read a lot on every subject and will be happy to share my golden DataMine with you. All credits of course go to the fantastic people having written those articles :)
So let's go there : Laserology
By the way, all this guy's website is amazing, he has a level of skills and knowledge that will never stop impressing me !

As I said, I am as beginner as you are, but I've read a lot on every subject and will be happy to share my golden DataMine with you. All credits of course go to the fantastic people having written those articles :)
So let's go there : Laserology
By the way, all this guy's website is amazing, he has a level of skills and knowledge that will never stop impressing me !

There's not a lot on skipping on that page. I'm pretty sure lubrication will help, but no mention of that there.

The skipping seems to have stopped.

So far I've removed the headphone circuit. I'm ordering some opamps to try out.

Any other things to do for a beginner? I'm willing to work on the power supply now. I really want to do something about the muddy bass too. How can I improve that?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.