Want to build a 12V PS like the KingRex

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've been playing around with smps lately and am floored by the difference they make on my chip amp and dac. I saw the inside shots of the KingRex with a small torodial and it looked interesting. In the 6moons review they rave about how the amp sounds with the ps. Natually, since we all know how important the ps is.

Anyone have a schematic for something like the 12VDC KingRex?

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/kingrex/t20.html

Attachments

• psu_open.jpg
    psu_open.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 405
I've been meaning to play around with some sort of filter on the output of the SMPS but not got around to it yet. I have a feeling it may be one of those 'suck it and see' jobs where the best option is empirically based!

I'm afraid the answer you your second question is the same, ie try it if it doesn't cost too much! ;)

Nuuk. I've been playing around with dampening the SMPS. Just a bit of blue tack on the top of the caps made a HUGE difference. I just did it as a lark and was not in any way prepared for the results. Since then I dampened all the caps and transformers. The sound stage EXPLODED.

Give it a try. Cost a few pennies..

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.