Want Small Horn for EV DH1A

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
How about this?

Im looking at picking up some EV DH1A's and I would like to find a small horn similiar in size to the EV HP94, and use them together for PA duty. Crossover around 1200hz.
Any suggestions?

A Karlson K-tube. I made the one in the picture in just a couple of minutes with some paper tape and a pair of scissors. I have them set up at ear level with the slots cross firing across the room toward each other. That means that there is some directivity control in that there is no output off the back side of the K-Tube toward the outside walls. I am most pleased with the sound, response is very good and so is the stage and image. Amazing considering the simplicity of a 1/4 tube with an exponential slot in it. Best regards Moray James.

Attachments

• Karlson Tube on EV DH1A.jpg
    Karlson Tube on EV DH1A.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 342
Im looking at picking up some EV DH1A's and I would like to find a small horn similiar in size to the EV HP94, and use them together for PA duty. Crossover around 1200hz.
Any suggestions?
The EV HP94 and larger HP940 are both decent sounding choices, as is the JBL 2380.

Moray's diffraction tube suggestion has too wide and erratic dispersion for PA use, it will cause frontal feedback at moderate levels, and has little gain so the driver will need about four times the power for the same SPL.
They are "interesting" for home use.

Conical horns along the lines of the HP940 are not difficult to build, I may still have a pair of 90 x 40 for sale.

The DH1A "snout" can be removed, it then can be used on 1.4" horns, there are some better choices in 1.4" than 2" in general.

Edit: Just checked, only have 1" 60x 40 and 2" 13 x 13 horns available.

Art

Last edited:
I'm currently using Jbl 2445's on jbl 2380's but at higher output they seem too harsh. I thought perhaps it might be the narrow slot of the jbl 2380.
I can get some EV DH1A's but I want to use a smaller horn that doesn't have a slot.

weltersys, Thanks for the tip of removing the DH1A snout to make it 1.4"
that should make it easier to find a horn.

I'm currently using Jbl 2445's on jbl 2380's but at higher output they seem too harsh. I thought perhaps it might be the narrow slot of the jbl 2380.
I can get some EV DH1A's but I want to use a smaller horn that doesn't have a slot.

weltersys, Thanks for the tip of removing the DH1A snout to make it 1.4"
that should make it easier to find a horn.
After lots of listening and measuring tests, I switched from 2445 to DH1A and DH1AMT, the same driver without the snout back in 1992.

The 3" DH1 diaphragm does not suffer from the breakup the 2445 has, they don't sound like "SHHUSS" in the HF like the JBL 4".

I can still remember putting a 6 K sine wave in to the 2445 and seeing 12K almost as high on an RTA, that does not happen with the DH1A.

I now prefer conical expansion horns to the pinched throat 2380 or HP horns, but the driver makes a big difference.

I'd suggest swapping drivers before ditching the 2380s, do an A/B test between the DH1A and the 2445 (EQed to the same response) and you probably will find most of your problems solved.

You will probably be able to sell the 2445 for more than the you pay for the DH1A, people are suckers for JBL ;).

Art

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.