Walker turntable. What voltage?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm sure everything will be fine.

There is no maximum for the voltage across the resistor,
the higher it is the safer the motor is.

Find the self start voltage and leave it running at that for a while.

Turn it off and use the worlds best 65 degree C temperature probe
(your finger) for the temperature of the resistors and the motor.

If you can hold your finger on them without pain apply 240V AC.

Run for a bit and then repeat the temperature tests, the motor
should be fine, the resistors may be designed to run a little hot.

:) sreten.

I hooked up the variac and the capstan started to turn a bit reluctantly at 110V. But that is without the belt attached to the capstan. Right now, I have the inner table shaft well removed. I saw a ball bearing at the bottom of it and thought it would be a good idea, given the age of the unit, to remove and clean the bearing before lubricating it. But it doesn't drop out of the shaft, so I injected a bit of thinner to try to get any gunk out. Now that it is clean, I'll put some oil (light machine oil, I assume) in, mount the outer table and see how much voltage is required in order for the motor to get the whole thing rotating.

Hi Bill!
Which model are Your EV 12" coaxials?
As im doing the drawings for my new 12" ML-TL´s i might as well draw a design for those, so You can see what size they would be.
On a (slightly) other topic, i found a real nice Chilean wine, Santa Rita Floresta Syrah/Merlot 99. I´m partial to Syrah wines) There is a good supply of wine from Chile in Sweden, but its hard to find a pure Syrah (Shiraz), do You know any such that are good, would make it easier to order some for test

ingvar ahlberg said:
Hi Bill!
Which model are Your EV 12" coaxials?
As im doing the drawings for my new 12" ML-TL´s i might as well draw a design for those, so You can see what size they would be.
On a (slightly) other topic, i found a real nice Chilean wine, Santa Rita Floresta Syrah/Merlot 99. I´m partial to Syrah wines) There is a good supply of wine from Chile in Sweden, but its hard to find a pure Syrah (Shiraz), do You know any such that are good, would make it easier to order some for test

Actually, I have two pairs of Electro-Voice speakers TRX15-B and TRX12-B. All pristine and sitting there waiting for the proper enclosure.

It seems that every month a new boutique winery appears in Chile. There is a promissing trend moving toward combining different grape varieties in the same bottle. Here in Santiago, we live just down the street from a store called "El Mundo de Vino" which claims to be the largest in South America. However, I prefer a competitor across the street from it called La Vinoteca. More personal service and nice tastings every Saturday morning. The Floresta wines are especially fine and a bit pricy by Chilean standards. You might enjoy the Montes Alpha Syrah.
I like Syrah very much as well, lusting after some of those Australians, but practically none are imported into Chile.

Hello again Bill!
Thanks to Mikey P we´re getting somewhere.
Since i started reading some 40+ years ago i´ve been aware of the myths regarding lost treasures in the Andes, seems it´s all true, those E-V gems You´ve got will make Englands crown jewels fade into oblivion!
So now i´ve got the info i need to design a "box" for theese drivers,( going for the 12"´s as i think they´re the best of the two). You won´t need anything closet sized at all for these, and i think end result will be tremendously awarding. Also, my experince says, when Your wife feels the soul You (will have) put into these speakers she will love them too.
I´ll start drawing now, and as i gather from our communications Your interest is inclined towards "classical" music, so when the E-V´s are properly housed i´ll send You a good first edition of Tchaikovsky Piano Concerto #1 - Van Cliburn / Kondrashin on RCA living stereo LSC2252.

First drawings just to get a picture of size of cabinets.
First is side view, only basic measures included.

Attachments

• ev12trxb1.jpg
    ev12trxb1.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 117
Some detail added to drawing.
Damping is: Red- Heavy felt mat, good type sold at car spare dealers, used for sound and vibration damping on car floors etc.
Green- light damping type Accusto Q or polyfill.
Final measures are, of course, dependant on wall thickness and that is material related. For final drawings i´ll switch to pencil and paper, doesn´t look as tidy as cad but i like it better and easier to put more detail in.

Attachments

• ev12trxb1jpg.jpg
    ev12trxb1jpg.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 90
This is great. Is the project that someone without cabinet-maker skills can do (once having the pieces cut to size) or do I need to farm this out to a pro? Note that in the apartment building I have a small underground-level storage room (great for wine with the temperature always around 18 degrees) but no major power tools. Also, exact material brands may be impossible to find. I have long searched for things like Blue-Tac in Santiago to no avail.

Bill

Becoming a carpenter

This cabinet can be assembled by anyone with basic woodwork and tool knowledge. Building speakers like this without advanced powertools there is two ways to go (imo). Use either high density chipboard (19mm) or good quality plywood (18mm). MDF is easy to get a good finish on (Paint) but inferior in all other ways.
Chipboard is hard to get good finish on, only way is veneer and that is pretty hard on a cabinet this size if You haven´t got prior experience. There are decent vinyl iron-on veneer types but takes good preparation. Plywood will make stunning finish possible with ordinary tools. Always by cut to meassure,regardless material. What keeps box together is always glue, any decent wood glue (white) will do, outdoor graded types best. Polyurethane sub zero degree graded is best and sets fast but demands GOOD ventilation at work area.
When You´ve decided material i´ll do final drawings and cutting list for the lumberyard. (Found a record today!! Yehudi Menuhin and The Philharmonia Orchestra playing Mendelsson/Bruch original HMV (1964 i think) unplayed!, will play all night)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.