• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

VTA SP14 Khozmo new build hum

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Reviving this a bit.
I don't know if the OP's hum was in both channels or not, but I have one here that hums only in one channel.
Here's the strange bit.
Running from the Khozmo attenuator are the typical signal wires and one ground wire that go to the circuit board at the boards input. Normal so far.
On the input area to the board are the input connections (L&R) and two ground connections (L&R). ONE of which is hooked up. The common being connected at the volume control, so only one ground needed. Hum is in the right channel. If I take this lone ground wire and connect it to the other channel's ground point on the board the hum shifts to the other channel. Disconnecting the ground wire makes the preamp buzz as there is now no ground to the volume control at all.
So it isn't a ground loop to earth, it isn't the transformer orientation or layout, it is a flaw somewhere on this circuit board or the wiring, most likely ground wiring.
This, by the way was NOT a kit. It was purchased assembled, and used with a pair of Latino Mono Blocks.
I'm probably going to have to re-wire everything to get rid of this hum.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.