Voxativ Drivers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have owned Lowther, Fostex and Omega ,hemp
As well as let attemp to match The least expensive Voxativ 1.6 driver
Which is about a 8 inch driver in old.
AudioNervana brags how good they are , not even Close ,as are the others
They have either peaks or breakups . I am using these from 350hz to 19
In a open baffle design , and my friend has then in a 1.5 cf transmission line
Getting below 35 hz with the Voxativ is exceptional and getting peaks approaching 100 db . Over 90 is Permanent ear damage territory.
8 guys over a 4 month 1000 hours of play time all drivers were given
A minimum of 500 hours . No matter what BS anyone tells you if it can’t beat its rival after 500 hours it will not happen . We also tried AN 15 inch Alnico
Good on specific rock but for realism Voxativ destroys it . Feastrix is its
Only competition.

I have NOT heard the Voxativ drivers, but have heard many FR lowther style and they all have lots of IM distortion, are they getting around it somehow?

Disabled Account
Joined 2017
when I read such, I can only believe that either someone likes odd sound, like many vintage fans, or you cant be honest to yourself after spending so much money.
I listened to voxativ very intense. Though it wasn't easy! Didn't want to leave with early prejudice, as such a special thing cant be so obviously bad, or ???
Well for me it was. Any 200 bucks shelf speaker from the supermarket sounds more balanced. Their HF made my ears bleed. Sounded a lot like 6-10dB peaks in higher mid range. So as many others of this type.
As soon as you EQ the peaks out, the extraordinary magnifier-resolution disappears to trivial level as well. So...

I listened to AER which was very pleasant, but at least they were honest enough to say that they EQed the recordings in advance.

cheers
Josh

when I read such, I can only believe that either someone likes odd sound, like many vintage fans, or you cant be honest to yourself after spending so much money.
I listened to voxativ very intense. Though it wasn't easy! Didn't want to leave with early prejudice, as such a special thing cant be so obviously bad, or ???
Well for me it was. Any 200 bucks shelf speaker from the supermarket sounds more balanced. Their HF made my ears bleed. Sounded a lot like 6-10dB peaks in higher mid range. So as many others of this type.
As soon as you EQ the peaks out, the extraordinary magnifier-resolution disappears to trivial level as well. So...

I listened to AER which was very pleasant, but at least they were honest enough to say that they EQed the recordings in advance.

cheers
Josh

I feel all alone sometimes because the OLD guys must be deaf, think this is HIFI :whazzat:

german speakers have always been "Bright" IMO

All most range speakers have a rising FR its well known. again why do people think this is HIFI?

oh well to each his own.

Disabled Account
Joined 2017
well, believe it or not, when I put my Lowther in a front loaded horn they play surprisingly well without any EQ. Still, the FIR can find small area for improvement :)

It might also be that some people compensate their hearing loss with raising FR ? (I'm serious)

But, has nothing to do with "germans". We got all variety as any one else does.
If you want to hear some prejudice of germans about americans, we say that US products are all "boomboxes" having way too loud bass ;)

I still see some sense in those drivers when using appropriate EQ. Others like (old)Fostex have more balanced response but a lot more dips and ripples, also significant loss above 10k. You don't need to EQ them in order to be able to listen to them. But when u try, its not that easy. The bumps on my lowthers are aggressive and not pleasant, but so wide that its easy to EQ out. They don't ring long, no dips or other issues. Distortion is very very low, sensitivity insane. Bandwidth above 10k very good. The suspension has no resonance, the cone is straight and moves equal up to 1.5k.

Imho, Lowther / AER / Voxativ can perform very very well, under condition of huge hornloading and/or subwoofer support, plus good Equalizing. Also I intend to use my PM4a as a low-mid horn driver in a multiway, as the TSP are excellent for that purpose. Its indeed a genious midrange horndriver.

Just the usual plain plug in play does not work at all.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.