Volume remote control unit

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Retired diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2002
I am progressing on my remote volume control unit that I am making. It consists of a PIC18F452 microcontroller, a IR receiver, PGA2310 volume control and a Noritake VFD display. I should have some results of this project in a week or so when I get my pcb that is being made now. My roommate is helping me with this for a school project.

Once I finish it, I can post the layout for others.

--
Brian

Ken,
i intend to do it the same way as you:
stepper motor turning a switch. I am yet undecided whether to give the Sowter autotransformer a try, i heard it can be had as 10k and as 1k version. I definititely are interested in a low R GC as i intend to use it outside the preamp.
1K would be fine with me.

Did you try the Sowter's sonics out already? Please tell me as soon as you have!

All,
before i forget it, the Velleman 15channel remote control kist is just gorgeous, it canbe configured as independent switches or latches and/or as rotary switches: one 1 out of 7 and one 1 out of 8 selector are freely configurable.

I've got some stuff

somewhat lined up for the gears, stepper motor, etc. - A game plan as it were - lining up for the Shallco switch. I've got a pretty good idea of how to go about it except for the infra red part

As you probably know, the Sowter's are control room components so I'm hoping to have a pretty clean preamp -

I haven't been able to listen to the pre-amp yet - noise from the power supply has been too high - I've got someone debugging it now -

I have assembled a pretty decent bench with DMM, O'scope, 0-600 volt power supply - and started major home renovations, can't get to them

Kinda going nuts right now - can't do anything but watch TV and surf - no space - so much stuff stored in my shop I can barely walk through - can't get to anything - going to be a long couple of months.:xeye:

Ken

Got the chip from Reynolds (link above) breadboarded. It was really easy to set up. Ordered the wrong reciever (38kHz instead of 40kHz) and range is about 2ft. I think this will get better when the new reciever arrives. Someone more experienced with IR modulation and transmission may know more. While the range is less than two feet it works like a dream. If you are considering the velleman kit, you may want to look here(if the range gets better). It has 14 outputs to the vellemans 15, but it costs only $11 for the chip and reciever. It needs no external components for logic out but will only sink/source 25mA per pin. It uses standard Sony remote codes, so the remote itself is cheap and easily replaceable (any universal will work it). I would not suggest it if you already have a sony product that you use with a remote. There are some things about this chip that are not given in the online information they are:

this is a programmed PIC chip
the outputs have two modes, if the button is held it issues 1/2 second pulses. If a button is tapped the output toggles high until the button is pressed again

For my next preamp project I see using this chip interfaced to another microprocessor. I despise writing code and this is a good way out.

P.S. Thanks Herm

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.