Volume pot value

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello. I wanna build a passive volume control and looking for the correct pot value. Source is Rane SM26 splitter/mixer with output impedance 125Ω. Destination is this diy/clone amp I bought on eBay. Music Box A1 Hdam HiFi Power Amplifier Perfect Classic 2SC5200 2SA1943 Amp DIY | eBay

After googling "Marantz HDAM input impedance ohm" it looks like it might be input impedance 47KΩ on the amp? Is this a common value?

So whats the proper pot value to have between 125Ω source and 47KΩ destination??? Yes I know I have volume control on both the Rane SM26 and the PowerAmp but these are hidden inside a rack and I wanna have a easily accessible vol control.

Thanks for your help

The advantage of using a lower impedance vol pot is that it can drive the next stage more easily.

The maximum output impedance of a vol pot is:
{Vol pot resistance + Source impedance } / 4

This should be less than 20% of the next stage's input impedance and preferably 5% to 10% for good voltage transfer.

Your 125ohm source impedance is already down @ 1.25% of the input impedance of the 10k vol pot. You could even use a 5k vol pot, but these are not so common.
The maximum output impedance of the 10k vol pot is {125r+10000r}/4 = 2531r
The next stage can be anything above 12656r and preferably >25k
47k, or 50k, or 100k input impedance for the stage after the 10k vol pot would be ideal.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.