volume control

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
One way of controlloing the pga2311 is via a PIC microchip. A bit of a steep learning curve if you haven't programmed before but it can be quite fun once you get into it.

There are some bad IC's around that give VCA's a bad name but I thought that the THAT VCA's were quite good ?

ahh yes, just spotted it, I should have read through properly.:xeye:

It probably wouldn't be very linear and the only way to know for sure would be to build the hardware and take a few measurements. However, linearity is not a requirement for an audio attenuator (assuming that is its purpose), more important is that it gives a progressive and usable control range and that both channels are closely matched.

When you consider a standard passive attenuator consisting of a logarithmic pot of maybe 20k feeding a power-amp with an input impedance of 10k then this is also a far from ideal, it's behaviour is neither linear or logarithmic.

I would imagine that once the forward voltage of the led has been reached the light output relative to input current would follow a fairly gentle curve, and I doubt there would be any surprises from the ldr. My only concern is are ldr's too noisy?.

mskeete said:
One way of controlloing the pga2311 is via a PIC microchip. A bit of a steep learning curve if you haven't programmed before but it can be quite fun once you get into it

any web pages to help me with that ?
i really know nothing about those :)
There are some bad IC's around that give VCA's a bad name but I thought that the THAT VCA's were quite good ?
the problem with vca is that they change the feedback while changing gain - thats bad for audio :)

sorry for the confusion till
at first i wanted to find a way to control 2 channels with a single pot and couldnt find a way to do that .Then i looked at TIs website and saw the pga23xx chips , the specs are very good so i decided to use one of those , i got the pga2311 ,before buying it i thought its got up/down pins to control the volume :) as some of those digital volume controll chips do , then i realized .......i need a microcontroller :bawling:

ok, so you would need a PIC16F628, a rotary encoder, and someone who has a programmer to flash the firmeware from my page into the PIC. For a simple solution.

If you want to make your own firmware, you need a programmer, some pic flash microcontrollers, and start to build simple circuits and programm things like flashing LEDs.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.