Voltage divider from speaker to line level generates noise/huming

I have a really old device and I can only access the speaker wires of it. I want to setup a line level from the speaker so I can connect it to another device.

I used a very simple voltage divider (2 resistor like the image below) to bring down the voltage from the speaker to line level (close to 1v) - as many people suggest online. It works fine, however there is a noise/huming that bothers me when I connect this line level to another speaker (using pre amp). It's not very loud, but when there is no song playing it is very distracting.

Reading online, it appears that using cheap resistors to bring the voltage down may create lots of noise. So what do you recommend I should do? Is there any "non cheap" resistor which is "audio grade" so I can use it to make this voltage divider?

NOTE: in the old device's speaker, the sound is perfect, absolutelly no noise. So the sound coming from the speaker is clear of audible noise.

Attachments

• 330-1_4w.jpg
    330-1_4w.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 139
music soothes the savage beast
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Buzz or humming is completely different issue than noise.
You likely experience first, not second. Resistors do have thermal noise, but it sounds like pink noise, not buzz.
Humm or buzz is likely related to ac line being picked up. Not enough shielding or ground loop.

Do you have any measuring equipment? Multimeter of small oscilloscope?

Do you have ground breaker by any chance?

My friends, I decided to draw my circuit below. I am using exactly the circuit below. @adason sorry for saying noise, I think you are right, what I am hearing is like a buzz! Not very loud, it just gets really noticed when the song is not playing.

In the circuit below, I would connect the line level to a JBL boombox (for example) so both speakers (the original one which I am tapping the signal and the JBL one) can play together. It is working fine, however it really bothers me the buzz... I am not using any amp/preamp (I dont own anything like that).

Would you suggest something I could try?

If I posted this in the wrong forum, please point me in the right direction and sorry for disturbing you.

imagemp.png

Last edited: