Voigt Pipe for TB W8-1808

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have been enjoying the TB 1808 on open baffle for several months but wanted to do something else on open baffle and maybe put these drivers into Voigt Pipes similar to what Lowther does.

http://www.parts-express.com/pdf/264-894s.pdf

I like the dimensions of this cabinet:

FredT300B's Photos : Popular Photos : These are the plans for a pair of Voigt pipes built by Herbert Jeschke, taken from the single driver website at http://www.melhuish.org/audio/DIYTQ4.html The Voigt Pipe is a Tapered Quarter Wave Pipe enclosure, w

I don't know how to design a pipe like this (only BIBs, ported, OB and sealed boxes for me) and was curious how to do it. I wanted to make sure the performance will be optimal before cutting wood. Can someone help me with these dims and port opening please? I prefer a square port like in the drawing. But really, i'd like to be able to sim this cabinet on my own. I built the straight pipe (brines) years ago and my son wants them in his bedroom bc he likes the look (they don't have drivers in them at the moment tho they used to have RS 1354 and then Fostex 127e... and may end up in his room with Fostex 168s old style with wizzer... lucky kid!).

I think the 1808 will work really well all by itself in this type of cabinet with out bass or treble support.

TIA,
Zilla

I have been enjoying the TB 1808 on open baffle for several months but wanted to do something else on open baffle and maybe put these drivers into Voigt Pipes similar to what Lowther does.

http://www.parts-express.com/pdf/264-894s.pdf

I like the dimensions of this cabinet:

FredT300B's Photos : Popular Photos : These are the plans for a pair of Voigt pipes built by Herbert Jeschke, taken from the single driver website at http://www.melhuish.org/audio/DIYTQ4.html The Voigt Pipe is a Tapered Quarter Wave Pipe enclosure, w

I hate to burst your bubble, but 1) the Lowther Club of Norway pipe is a God awful design, even for the PM6C that it was designed for and 2) the 1808 has exactly the wrong parameters to even semi-work in that cab. Model this combo and see what I mean.

Bob

GM

Joined 2003
Agreed, although if we ignore that particular box & just use Voigt Pipe as another term for mass-loaded conical horn, then they should do OK in a (large) cabinet of the general MLCH type.

Yeah, we had discussed doing a SS for this along time ago, but there didn't seem to be any interest in it. Regardless, I dug out my old pre-T/S pipe horn designer and mixed n' matched with the BIB one to generate a classic alignment like shown in Thuras's patent and a higher tuned one to get a bit of mid-bass 'slam' out of a typical FR driver, though of course at the expense of LF extension.

Still got to try it with a variety of drivers to make sure it's flexible enough and clean it up, so let me know if there's enough interest before I spend any more time on it. Here's the 1808's two in the same 72" i.d. high, ~9.66 ft^3 net Vb except the higher tuning uses the Voigt Pipe Sm:Av ratio and the lower tuned is my old one (0.25 lbs/ft^3 stuffing density):

GM

Attachments

• TB W8-1808 Voigt Pipe variant - high_low tunings.gif
    TB W8-1808 Voigt Pipe variant - high_low tunings.gif
    25.3 KB · Views: 563
I think so. Going by memory (I've got our emails stashed on an old HDD), Terry's 1st speaker build was indeed a pair of LCoN Voigt Pipes as briefly popularised by Herb Jeschke with RS 40-1354s. IIRC however he modified things by reversing the box so the driver was mounted on the sloping face, installing some stepped deflectors in the base, and adding a lathe-turned suprabaffle. The Abby was a progressive refinement with slightly different dimensions & the FE166E / FF165K.

I think so. Going by memory (I've got our emails stashed on an old HDD), Terry's 1st speaker build was indeed a pair of LCoN Voigt Pipes as briefly popularised by Herb Jeschke with RS 40-1354s. IIRC however he modified things by reversing the box so the driver was mounted on the sloping face, installing some stepped deflectors in the base, and adding a lathe-turned suprabaffle. The Abby was a progressive refinement with slightly different dimensions & the FE166E / FF165K.

As noted earlier, I've heard Abby with both drivers on several occasions, and it can be very sweet indeed, particularly with 2A3 or 45 amps - not a party system, but even with bandwidth SPL limitations very intimate and captivating.

OTOH the BIB that Terry demoed in 2001 in George Wright's room was definitely initially more impressive. I can never remember which now discontinued Fostex driver, but the amps I heard them with were one of George's model 45s. However, with the boundary loading requirements and less refined bass articulation and imaging/soundstage than the Abby, I found it revealed more about the constraints of demoing in a small hotel room overcrowded with gear than about the relative merits of the speaker and/or degree of system synergy.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.