visaton B 80 3.3 fullrange drivers?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
yes TS arent scalar...all my other Qts calcs corroborate closely. I measure at low power, Weems' method using series 1kR and 10R 0.1% to calibrate, then read mV for equivalent Z.

They are alpair5, i didnt send them back as ive hoarded them in their box for a year. Theyve had maybe 50hrs play, and a plot of Z put Qts at over 1, against the spec of ~0.8. I havent had time to check Vas.

Last edited:
Well, now the B80 seems to be on sale on some EU shops @ € 47,50.
But then comes the all time question which driver is best?
Visaton B80, Vifa TG9FD10, Fountek FR88EX/89EX, Omnes Audio BB 3.01 ???
Scan Speak 10F/8424G00 is probably a very good driver, but so is the price (~90€) and maybe some MA drivers on the $$$side too.
I already have TB W3-871 boxes with fairly ok results, but maybe some of those "better" drivers will have nicer sound?

Any suggestions?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
- just some weird who has not yet figured out that 3" full range driver is not the answer to ultimate Hifi -

my solution

Hello why not made a double horn with 3+4" driver,
free plan in german but understandable:
Hörner

why not a scan speak or visaton frontdriver,
and the back invers +- change driver something
http://www.faitalpro.com/products/files/4FE32/8/4FE32_datasheet_8.pdf

i think you can get more than 90dB 1W 1m, no bass resonanz below 50 Hz 4 Ohm,
down ~35 Hz, superb soundstage.

more info on my HP double horn POSAUNE
pic the 30 mm wider KORNETT

Attachments

• kornett abit1kl.datei.jpg
    kornett abit1kl.datei.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 623
W5 what?? what make?
Below 100Hz I use sub, so the really deep bass is not mandatory. Also, moderate dB levels are enough.
By this far I have narrowed my choises to VisatonB80, Fountek FR88EX, and maybe Vifa TG9FD10.
Just wondering if the Faital or Omnes Audio drivers have even better sound?

Presumably he's referring to the Tang Band W5-1611. Not a bad driver; doesn't do anything especially objectionable. I quite like it as a jack-of-all-trades unit. Makes a decent midbass too. Particularly good when partnered with a nice dome tweeter, but I digress.

Re the latter, depends what you call 'better sound' since this is purely a matter of personal inclination. In the same way that I find Rachel Weisz far more attractive than Angelina Jolie.

Last edited:
Since 'best' doesn't mean anything without context, I can only repeat my previous remark: it's not a bad driver, that does nothing objectionable. Electromechanical specs., FR & HD levels are all reasonably well-balanced, making it a good jack-of-all-trades unit -you won't get poor results from it, unless you do something monumentally stupid, or foul up the XO if using it as a midbass, in which case it's hardly the driver's fault. As I say, I quite like it.

Last edited:
Presumably he's referring to the Tang Band W5-1611. Not a bad driver; doesn't do anything especially objectionable. I quite like it as a jack-of-all-trades unit. Makes a decent midbass too. Particularly good when partnered with a nice dome tweeter, but I digress.

Re the latter, depends what you call 'better sound' since this is purely a matter of personal inclination. In the same way that I find Rachel Weisz far more attractive than Angelina Jolie.

agree, agree, agree!

But the choice between Rachael Weisz and Natalie Portman becomes more difficult. Hifi is analgous to everything.

Thanks folks!
I am looking for neutral sound, without colouration, smooth FR. Something like studio monitors provide (e.g. Genelec).
The W5-1611 looks quite interesting, but I think I'll probably look up for B80. Has anybody made FR measurements? FR in Visaton datasheet looks quite good but we don't know how much it has been smoothed.

Recent experiments with B 80.
Firts intention was to put that broadband driver on OB within so called FAST concept. But i didn't like it on OB alone. So I have tried the old school in sealed design with the help of my friend (has measuring software and mike). Xover was rather complex to couple it with some woofer (Peerless 830668) and we gave a chance to '2box' design. Separate box for B 80 V of approx. 6-7Litres. So far we concluded that it plays really sweet and pleasant in the box of 6-8 L, with 0.55mH coil in series (small attenuation of the upper couple of thousands of Hz). There is bass in definition and presence and speed but not ample bass of course.
Also I have tried to put that driver into Martin King's calculation for TL design and it REJECTED?

I would tend to think it would be a no-brainer, the TB W5 runs at 90db vs. 85Db for the Visaton.......and the surface area of the W5 runs at 94 cm squared vs, the Visaton at 38.5......Further, the TB is appx. half the price?????????

________________________________________________Rick..........

There is more to performance than cone area and rated sensitivity. But those remarks re the two of them were 10 months ago.

Re 'rejected', presumably this is referring to the spread sheet derived from Martin's alignment tables? It would. The B80 has a 110Hz Fs. Martin's alignment tables (and therefore the spread sheet derived from them) have an upper threshold of 70Hz, since they were intended for bass lines / reinforcement purposes & it is assumed in them that Fp = Fs. So if you want to use Martin's alignments, you'll have to extend them yourself by extrapolating from his data. Alternatively, you can extrapolate from Augspurger if you want a near-aperiodic line. You're not going to get bass out of a driver with a 110Hz Fs anyway -assuming you want good quality performance at any rate since while the spec. indicates you can force it to produce LF extension, that doesn't mean it's a good idea. Harmonic distortion will rocket.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.