Vintage Wrinkle paint finish

I didn't know where to post this, whether here under this thread or the tube/amps threads? As it applies to vintage electronic equipment.

I just wanted to share some pretty decent results in obtaining the vintage wrinkle paint look/finish we see on old electronic equipment, The brand paint I used is
called 'Dupli-Colour wrinkle finish' black.

The instructions on the spray can indicate, apart from the usual making sure the pieces are oil, dust and wax free. To spray one thick coat in a horizontal fashion then leave it for 5 minutes, Then spray the second thick coat in a vertical fashion, Another leave it for another 5 minutes, Then spray the third thick coat diagonally.

The instructions also indicate that if the paint doesn't start to wrinkle to give the piece a fourth coat, However, I then placed the two pieces under a 500watt indoor work light for approximately 30 minutes, The results look pretty spectacular.

The work light I used is the type painters and decorators use indoors they do produce a lot of light and heat, I don't know whether the heat from the work light helped with the wrinkle process of the paint but I was blown away withe the results.

The instructions on the spray state the normal drying and hardening process takes two days. The test pieces I used are the covers of a filter choke. I hope this can help others out.

cheers Ron

PS Mods: if this needs to be moved to a different section please do so.

Attachments

• 20220928_135727.jpg
    20220928_135727.jpg
    536.5 KB · Views: 313
Reactions: 2 users
Can I double like your tip ? :) :)

In the old days I did it by squirting some foul additive into the special paint can and then oven curing, never ever imagined all that mess could be loaded inside a practical spray can ... congratulations.

Reactions: 1 users
In the States, it looks like this paint is called VHT Wrinkle Plus.
https://www.duplicolor.com/video/wrinkle-plus-how-to-dupli-color/

The guy in the video uses a heat gun to accelerate the drying/wrinkling process.

It would be nice to make a drab little Bud box look reminiscent of Gen-Rad gear from the '50s. Unfortunately they don't offer that nice tan color, just black, red, grey and blue. It looks like it's available from auto parts chain stores. Cool beans!

Reactions: 1 users
I've found VHT Wrinkle plus difficult to obtain here in Australia and then, There was only 1 can of the Dupli-colour brand available between two automotive stores where I live.....Even one of our giant hardware store chains can't get the VHT brand in.

So I guess the moral of the story is, If anyone has a vintage piece of equipment finished in black wrinkle style, Treat that piece with kid gloves ;)

Reactions: 1 user

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
NAPA carries it in Canada, would have to think they would in the US, too.
"ALL" US car-parts shops carry DupliColor in the 33+ common car colors.

Not all will carry Wrinkle. I have not seen wrinkle finish in a car since we took the radio out of my brother's 1941 Plymouth.

IIRC, wrinkle is a mix of a very slow-dry solvent and a real flash-off-fast solvent. The differential shrinkage makes wrinkles.

(FWIW: shops near here sell "wrinkles", but it is a kind of shell-fish, a periwinkle. You can pickle them, or sautée them in garlic over pasta.)
https://giftmdi.com/top-five-forgotten-maine-delicacies/

Reactions: 1 user