Vintage crossover, Help

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

I decided to refresh my old the speakers, the new dumping, the wiring capacitors ... But when I pulled out the crossover I was confused by the design.

I would be grateful if you would take a look at the photos and the drawing I made and tell your opinion if everything is all right before I buy the capacitors. I measured and wrote the values of the coils and resistors in the drawing. Maybe I can put in better resistors so please advice.
It confuses me that the capacitors 2.2 and 1.5 are in the series, it also seems to me that the bass does not have a capacitor, I also do not understand the point of soldering the negative pole wire before the coil of the twitter speakers.

I don't have much knowledge in electronics, especially I don't know the logic of crossover design and I don't know if anyone has ever worked on that crossover before.

The speakers are Pilot V-3 (German speakers from the early 80's)
I don't want to change the characteristics, I just want to improve them.
I will use Mundorf mcap evo oil Capacitore, and keep the ferrite coil on the bass.

All tips and ideas are welcome

Attachments

• IMG_20200211_131828.jpg
    IMG_20200211_131828.jpg
    452.8 KB · Views: 137
  • IMG_20200211_131836.jpg
    IMG_20200211_131836.jpg
    225.5 KB · Views: 163
  • IMG_20200211_131848.jpg
    IMG_20200211_131848.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 156
  • IMG_20200211_131855.jpg
    IMG_20200211_131855.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 155
  • Pilot V-3.jpg
    Pilot V-3.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 221
diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
Maybe I can put in better resistors so please advice.
I think the resistors will be OK, no need to replace them.
It confuses me that the capacitors 2.2 and 1.5 are in the series,
They work together. It is the same as 1 capacitor, value 3.7uF.
I also do not understand the point of soldering the negative pole wire before the coil of the twitter speakers.
This is a second order filter..

Attachments

• 11a.png
    11a.png
    1.5 KB · Views: 88
I would replace the woofer inductor, the one enclosed in ferrite: from a trial I've made once with an inductor of that type, the sound coming from the woofer was "saturated" and "metallic". A coil wound up in air or with ferrite core would sound better IMO. To reach the same DC resistance ( 0.22 Ω) you would need a thicker gauge of wire, because of the ferrite encapsulation trick ( it augments inductance)

thanks for the answers, the crossover will be external, i will use solid core wire 0.5mm for high and 1mm for mid and bass. The ferrite coil stays until I get the 2mm wire so I'll try to wind it myself. For the terminals I will use WAGO 221, it may look ridiculous to someone, but it has a very good connection and is made of copper, so I think it's better than all the fancy gold plated connectors that are made of brass.

How critical is it to put 5.6 uf instead of 5.1 because it changes the price if I use 0.47+4.7 = 5.17?

In a second order crossover, component tolerances have an effect as a square root.

Which is to say, 10% tolerance has a 5% effect on the filter:

816450d1581457036-vintage-crossover-help-pilot-3-jpg

I'd get 3.9uF and 4.7uF and be done with it. The little adjustment caps look pricey!

I doubt my old ears will hear any difference! The theory says the film caps will sound a bit brighter than NPE due to lower internal resistance of the order of 0.5R. :)

music soothes the savage beast
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hello,

I decided to refresh my old the speakers, the new dumping, the wiring capacitors ... But when I pulled out the crossover I was confused by the design.

I would be grateful if you would take a look at the photos and the drawing I made and tell your opinion if everything is all right before I buy the capacitors. I measured and wrote the values of the coils and resistors in the drawing. Maybe I can put in better resistors so please advice.
It confuses me that the capacitors 2.2 and 1.5 are in the series, it also seems to me that the bass does not have a capacitor, I also do not understand the point of soldering the negative pole wire before the coil of the twitter speakers.

I don't have much knowledge in electronics, especially I don't know the logic of crossover design and I don't know if anyone has ever worked on that crossover before.

The speakers are Pilot V-3 (German speakers from the early 80's)
I don't want to change the characteristics, I just want to improve them.
I will use Mundorf mcap evo oil Capacitore, and keep the ferrite coil on the bass.

All tips and ideas are welcome

please do not show capacitors with resistor symbol
its confusing

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.