vent by the speaker wall, or in a corner

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
That is how I've heard it as well.

I know you did not ask or might not care but I'm curious why you cant use a shorter 3" port? Also, 40" is the quarter wave resonance of 83hz is there a reason the box is so long?
Since I know nothing about the design these q's sort of popped into my head. Is this a theoretical question, or is this an actual design, if so we all enjoy details.:smash:

Making it real

Project: Two 15" subwoofers, prefer ported.

Drivers: Dayton 15" reference series High Fidelity drivers. (Ordered expecting in a couple of days. )
Dayton 15" High Fidelity

Space available: Area under Front projection screen to left and right of center channel. Approximately 40" by 29" and 15" deep (need to be a bit shallow).

Materials: 1" think mdf. Well braced. 4" pvc pipe. Walls lined with convoluted foam. Bracing is routed out, details not shown in drawing.

Volume: 185L (approx, accounting for bracing, damping, speaker displacement... etc.)
Vents: Two 4"x 36" pvc tubes, tuning around 16-17hz.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Room is 13' wide by 20' long. Dedicated theater with 108" front projection screen.
Subwoofers will be powered by a pro-amp QSC USA 370 with 185 watts per speaker. I could upgrade to a QSC RMX 1450 or 2450 in the future, if I feel I need it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.