Velodyne CHT headache

Good day all. I ecently got a Velodyne CHT avtive subwoofer from a friend. Im needing some advice regarding this subwoofer....and Im hoping to get it here. When I initially plugged it in....it worked but as soons as I increased the volume...it would clip and the relay would kick in. It would only start playing again once I lowered the volume. I checked voltages going to both op amps and its spot on 14.8 volts. What i did find is.... on the attached schematic..... Q709 and Q708 which are the output transistors base-collector come up as a dead short when testing with a MM on continuity. On Q713 and Q716 the collector-emmitter comes up as dead shorts using the multimeter set to continuity. There are numerous other components in the circuits like resistors, diodes and even caps that do the exact same thing. Polarized caps do the exact same thing when testing with a multimeter set on continuity...but it only does it for a second and then no continuity. So far I have replaced all the smaller transistors...becasue I had them. Im hoping some of the more experianced techs could maybe have a look at the below schematic and maybe offer some advice on what to check...if at all possible. any help would be appreciated. Atatched schematic is from Velodyne support. Thanx in advance.....have a blessed and prosperous 2024.

Bildschirmfoto 2024-01-04 um 18.34.21.png

I don‘t have a solution for you.

But I’m searching for the electrical diagrams and service manual for my Velodyne CHT 8QR BVE. Mine is from 2010. Not used for 4 years and with testing this week: nothing. The fuse in the 230V inlet is OK.

Can you (or someone else) help me with information?

greetings, Rob (NL)

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Are there no visible markings if you bend the leads to lay the cap on its side?

It is quite likely very critical in both value and also specification and could be part of the 'tuning' circuit for the chopper transformer. Typically such caps have to withstand not just high voltages but also fast risetimes of the voltage.