Vector Inverter Failure

ed4805

2010-10-07 12:01 pm
My first time here...I am interested in repairing a vector 400 watt 12vdc to 120vac invertor. I've been using it for years to power my laptop when I am in the woods using the GPS...irecently I noticed the laptop pwr ind was flashing on and off and suspected an invertor problem. I plugged a small drill motor into the inverter and sure enough the ac is cycling on and off at about a one second interval...It has IRFZ44N mosfets and IRF640A power mosfets....and what looks like a pwm IC...haven't located a data sheet yet. Is this thing worth repairing or should I junk it for parts. I already ordered a replacement. Ed

Test The Battery

My first time here...I am interested in repairing a vector 400 watt 12vdc to 120vac invertor. I've been using it for years to power my laptop when I am in the woods using the GPS...irecently I noticed the laptop pwr ind was flashing on and off and suspected an invertor problem. I plugged a small drill motor into the inverter and sure enough the ac is cycling on and off at about a one second interval...It has IRFZ44N mosfets and IRF640A power mosfets....and what looks like a pwm IC...haven't located a data sheet yet. Is this thing worth repairing or should I junk it for parts. I already ordered a replacement. Ed

Test the capacity of the battery that you use to power the inverter. An
old battery can start up perfectly and run down quickly, as loss of
capacity, run-time, is the most common failure mode of an old battery.
Make sure the battery cable and connections have not developed
resistance. I bought a vector inverter like yours at Aldi in 2001 for
USD 30 and would scrap it for parts or throw it away, if it's indeed, bad.