Vbe bias generator insights

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
For a CFP VBE, I'm wondering if two caps isn't asking for trouble since together they potentially create 180° phase lag. I should think one ~big by-pass cap is best, or the combination of a larger and small cap in parallel. The bias resistor between transistors may also be important in setting the pole of the second transistor. I am not impressed by designs that claim to be high quality because they spent a lot of money on exotic parts.

www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
It seems I've seen electrolytic caps often used in this position. Is a ceramic cap just a way to reduce the footprint a bit further?

I was reading your Ovation NX writeup and it looks like you specify a 10µF cap in that design (C14 - with a comment that its a bit oversized). I don't understand this vs your comment above. Could you elaborate further to help me understand?

Thanks Andrew!

I think when that was designed about 8 yrs ago, I had used 1uF across the bias spreader and then later went to 10 uF.

It’s stock standard 10 uF low voltage (6.3 to 10 V) XR7 MLCC

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.