variac based symmetric bench power supply

It seems difficult and/or quite expensive to find a symmetric DC power supply capable of adjustable rails of up about 70 Volts DC capable of delivering about 5-6 amps.

In my possession, I already have a:

- 1000 VA toroidal transformer (120/240 VAC -> 2 x 50VAC).
- dual gang 40 VAC -> 40 VAC 10 amp variac (Powerstat 116CU-40-2)
- 160 amp rectifier
- about 200,000uF @ 200 volt electrolytics.

So I decided to do the following, please indicate if you see any flaw with it.
The idea is to feed the 50 volts from each secondary of the transformer to the 40 V inputs of the dual gang variac. The outputs are rectified and filtered and I get a very powerful (with very little ripple) power supply of up to about +/- 70 volts DC at about 10 amps max.

One issue I am thinking is that specific variac is specced to run at 60Hz. If I move this to a 50Hz country, I presume the max current rating will probably be less but does anyone see any other issue ?

I am adding a picture here:

Attachments

• psu.jpg
    psu.jpg
    551.2 KB · Views: 234
Last edited:
Yes, it is Powerstat 116CU-40-2

I updated the above with this info and also have the following q:

That specific variac is specced to run at 60Hz. If I move this to a 50Hz country, I presume the max current rating will probably be less but does anyone see any other issue ?

Thanks

Last edited:
Another alternative could be that I have a 120 volt -> 120 volt variac first in the system feeding the toroidal txformer. In this case, I would not need a dual gang variac. A single gang would do.

However, my question now is, (this is also a general question) if I feed the toroidal a primary voltage which is much less than its rated voltage, would its secondary still linearly follow the turns ratio or would it not generate any secondary until some 'threshold' would be reached ? If so, this would be like a 'step' jump and would not be a truly variable power supply...

Thanks

Hi trobbins,

Yes, this is for bench testing.
I may switch to a single gang variac ( Powerstat 217CU) (120/240 volt, 3.5A) and since I have about 200,000 uF of capacitance after the rectifiers, I do not think ripple will be an issue. Altho, I see conflicting information online regarding either 216CU or the 217CU models. Some literature says they can operate at 50 Hz and some limit it to only 60 Hz. So, I am not sure as to which is the correct value.

Last edited:
Some literature says they can operate at 50 Hz and some limit it to only 60 Hz. So, I am not sure as to which is the correct value.
I don't think it is a matter of right or wrong, rather the specification rating quoted is at the frequency quoted, kind of like (but not exactly the same as) an amplifier's power being rated into a specified load, e.g. 4Ω or 8Ω.