Variable DC power supply to drive TT motor

variable DC poewr supply to drive TT motor

Hi all,

I'm looking for a stable lab varible DC power supply to drive a Maxon A-max motor driving my TT.

Found one for sale with:

Ripple & Noise: <1mV rms
Waves and noises: CV<0.5mV r.m.s, CC 3mA, r.m.s
Power effect: CV < 0.01 % +1mV, CC <0.2% + 1mA
Overload effect: CV<0.01% +3mV, CC<0.2% +3mA

could such a supply run my platter good and steady?

Thanks all
Ik

Variable DC motor control

I am presently using the Ultra DC motor control from Origin Live with the upgraded power supply.
It works fine and the actual parts inside the control unit are quite simple insofar as its seems to be a basic control set up.

But, I have just ordered from EBay a 30 Amp control unit .

http://cgi.ebay.com/DC-Motor-Speed-...14&_trkparms=72:1205|66:2|65:12|39:2|240:1318

Or - just do a search in EBay for DC motor control.
I bought for it a 12 V battery and cant wait to try it out; it should work very nicely - the only issue could be a finer pot to ajust the speed....

I will also be using a Maxon motor and a round belt from Clearaudio, driving the perimeter of the platter.

That's the most basic regulator you can use with a DC motor for a turntable. Speed will depend on the accuracy with which you can set the trimpot VR1 (see schematic), and then speed drift will depend on what that potmeter does with temperature, age, and mechanical creep. It would be better to determine the required output voltage and then stagger VR1 with two resistors so that you can tune it more accurately. Also replace VR1 with a trimpot that has more turns, if such a thing exists.

For an OTT supply you may want to read this:

http://www.members.iinet.net.au/~quiddity/audio/DCbrushed.html

Motor control & trim pot

Werner, your response is much apreciated,

Actually I bought on EBay a maxon motor: Swiss Maxon 2642 13 pole coreless motor w zero cogging

http://cgi.ebay.com/Swiss-Maxon-264...hash=item150264592304&_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116

Am I right in presuming the above Maxon motor will also work for the DC motor control link you refer to?

As to your comments on the trim pot - they are most interesting...
I am presently using an Origin Live ( OL) Ultra dc motor control box + the Origin Live upgraded transformer.

I have found also that the OL 25 turn trim pot is sometime moody: the speed will sometimes suddendly change for no apparent reason for about 2 minutes or so & then resume its previous speed!?. When the speed changes, the trim pot does not react normally and it takes 2 to 3 full turn to change the speed - but by then the speed has been over corrected.....

I also looked at the online catalogue for pots at a local electronic store & they seem to be of all the same quality at about $1.00 Canadian each ?? So I wonder if & who sell best quality trim pots ??

So why am I getting another motor for my Oracle turntable ( I bought it without the original motor) ? -
Well, presently I am using 2 Origin Live DC motors, side by side, connected in parallell & driven by the OL motor control. I am also driving the platter around the perimeter for more torque. Oracle turntables are driven from under the platter, but, for the same motor, you get more torque driving the 12 '' perimeter instead of the 6'' inner perimeter.

I want a third motor so I can but it between the 2 motors in a V configuration. Thus the third motor would be at the bottom of the V and hopefully created more torque (turning in the opposite direction). The intent is to further reduce the stylus drag effect and also have the pleasure to try something different.

Since the OL stuff is quite good but very expensive, I am looking for a DIY motor drive system, as the middle motor would most likely not turn at the same speed as the 2 outside OL motors.
The 2 motors are presently connected in parallell to the Ultra control box. I do not see myself connecting a third motor that has different specs and would need to turn at a different speed.....

Any event, the article you refer to is excellent but quite tecknical for me.
It would be nice to find a decent DC motor control kit or ready made one at a reasonable cost to pursue this project.

1) Don't mix different motors. They'll only fight each other.

2) Don't connect multiple motors to the OL controller. The OL uses armature current feedback and when presented with two identical motors in parallel it is quite possibly unstable. Hence your 'trimpot problems'.

2 motors in // unstable

Interesting comment -

When the 2 motors are side by side - say 2 to 3 inches apart - I only get sudden speed variances occasionnally...

But, when I put the motors diametrically opposed, say, noon and six pm - then the motorisation becomes much more unstable ?

But another OL control and power supply is some $575 english pounds - such is the audio world of non DIY

I do have a maxon hall effect motor that is quite impressive - I may re-buy the control unit for it - this time I will try not o reverse the polarity!

1) Don't mix different motors. They'll only fight each other.

2) Don't connect multiple motors to the OL controller. The OL uses armature current feedback and when presented with two identical motors in parallel it is quite possibly unstable. Hence your 'trimpot problems'.

I know this is an old thread, but I have the Alphason Sonata that uses two motors and for that one, OL simply suggests buying an additional motor.

Hi cchean,

akaik Alphason uses synchronous AC motors, not DC motors. So speed is determined by frequency, not by voltage.

Big difference.

Sincerely

Thanks for replying. I understand. But OL offers their kit as an upgrade or repair for Sonatas in which two OL DC motors can be fitted and controlled by their speed box. I wonder if they suggest just connecting those two motors in paralell