Vapor wire interconnect

Status
Not open for further replies.
Moving a few months ago I cleaned out my son's room, he’s at college, and found a pack of Vape nickel Ni200 wire stuck to his 4th grade collection of extremely strong Neodymium magnets. I had to google Vape to find out what it was.
Since I was playing with interconnect wires of my own making, I soldered in some 28awg Ni200 in the positive leg. Just to hear how bad it could be. The neg leg is some kind of 22ga silver plated copper, stranded wire in teflon.

Ni200: Naked, no dielectric, no shielding. Sounded surprisingly good but highs were thin. Ordered 20awg Ni200 Vape wire, 50ft, $11, free ship. Ni200 is 99% pure nickel.

20awg Ni200 sounds better, clear, cleaner open highs.

Since the outer coating of the neo magnets is nickel and I’m on a nickel binge, I cut the middle of the 3ft Ni200 cable, bent the cut ends to ¼” L shapes and put in a ½”dia x 1” cylinder neo mag so that both wire ends clung to the cylinder round flat ends. Sound improved.

Stuck a few more neo mags together, north pole to south pole to north pole etc. for a stronger magnetic effect. The Ni200 wires now tightly clung to the increased magnet power.

Even better sound. Maybe all magnets instead of wire would be ear drum nirvana. A thick 1 gauge neo mag interconnect wire? Not very flexible but solder in 3-5 Ni200 segments one inch long as flexible joints.

Teflon tubing on Ni200 degrades the sound. Using one layer of Saran wrap degrades it too. I think I’ll leave the Ni200 wire naked. Nickel doesn’t oxidize very fast. Figuring out a shielding scheme will take more work. It’ll probably sound better.

Since Ni200 is less permeable than mu metal wire, but a lot more than copper, maybe reduced skin effect, or “smearing out”, compared to copper is happening.
Read this blurb from the Electromagnetic Compatibility Handbook

$11 for Ni200 Vape wire (50FT!) and $20-$30 for neo mags you could make a pretty clear sounding IC. Get some cheap *** nickel RCA’s to complete it. Or expensive rhodium over nickel.

I’m not claiming audio perfection but pretty good sound for a few bucks. And yeah, it’ll sound different in your system.

"Since Ni200 is less permeable than mu metal wire, but a lot more than copper, maybe reduced skin effect, or “smearing out”, compared to copper is happening.
Read this blurb from the Electromagnetic Compatibility Handbook"
...The page before the one you click on is great too.

I thought this was more interesting than the story of discovery.

The more I think about it, its a story of reduced skin effect.

The perm of Ni is about 200-600. Mu metal wire (google it and buy some!) about 50,000, (5N) 99.999% Iron Wire has a permeability of 200,000, and copper is about 1. Neodymium magnets is about 1.

Ni has about 3x more resistance than copper. Not a problem.

Neo mags as conductor would definitely influence the magnetic part of electromagnetic force, good or bad.

I wanted to play with things on hand and see what would happen. Seems like there may be some physics to back it up.
That doesn't mean it'll sound good in your system.

Maybe I posted this in the wrong forum. What would be a better forum?

Last edited:
Maybe I posted this in the wrong forum. What would be a better forum?

Depends.

If you want to learn something from people who are well-trained and experienced in subjects like materials science and electromagnetism and you are ready to abandon incorrect ideas, here.

If you just want affirmation that you're doing something significant and useful, and you want other people to chime in and share their fantasies, there's lots of places on the internet where pseudoscience and marketing are more front and center.

Depends.

If you want to learn something from people who are well-trained and experienced in subjects like materials science and electromagnetism and you are ready to abandon incorrect ideas, here.

I haven't seen a comment about the skin effect or about the 2 pages out of "Electromagnetic Compatibility Handbook".

Obviously Ni will not reduce the skin effect like Mu metal but certainly more than copper.

Last edited:
Surprised to see so many comments, been busy selling snake oil at my online voodoo shop.

The skin effect is real, but is not very significant at audio frequencies, this well known, but it was a long shot. Apparently that nut job Kenneth L. Kaiser got my magical juices running and I misapplied the equations and made a huge assumption about nickel wire.

Any one know what effect passing current through a neodymium magnet would have on the magnetic part of the electromagnetic field?

How about current through a magnetized nickel wire? Or through rg 59 coax CCS at audio frequencies? At RF?

Always good to reread Kissoff's law about what goes around comes around.

Gotta go sign for my shipment of hens teeth.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.