USSA-5 Build with Review

It is done!

Hello everybody!

I am in the happy position that I can say, after all (buying all the parts and rebuying the wrong ones :trash: ;) ), that finally (after a long time with a few breaks) I got it done. Hooray!!!

Here are a few impressions from my building progress:

First biasing, always with Fabs instructions infront of me to avoid mistakes :rolleyes:
IMG_0164.jpg

Biasing the positive and negative side to the final bias of 1,3 A
IMG_0175.jpg

Always switching between biasing and controlling the offset.
I urgently need a third multimeter, switching them makes me crazy.
Turning a potentiometer and looking after the bias then switching the multimeters and controlling the offset, oooh it was the wrong direction or potentiometer then switching the multimeters back and so on ....:(
IMG_0176.jpg

After all take a look after the heat. Fab is right, it is close below 50° C with 1,3 A bias.
Thats is a lot but not to much. My "old" amplifier is nearly the same.
IMG_0179.jpg

Some impressions from the inside.
Nice lights from the leds. Especially in the night, the power switch light is blue, the leds from the power supply are bright green and the leds from the loudspeaker protection are dark orange. So you have all informations about the status of the amp you need. ;)
And at the moment the amp stands free, to control if everything works correctly, so I have a free "disco light" on the ceiling of our living room.
For my wife the amp or music is not as important as for me, but she likes the LIGHT!!! :D

IMG_0201.jpg

IMG_0202.jpg

IMG_0205.jpg

IMG_0206.jpg

And from the outside:
IMG_0209.jpg

IMG_0211.jpg

At long last I could not say much about the sounding of the amp because it is still in the burn in period and sadly I have no preamp (my next build :rolleyes:), so I have to connect the CD player directly to the amp or I must use an AV-Amp I have, but this is not a good decision (sound wise / Hifi ;)).
But I can say that I am really surprised and that my apprehensions do not come true!
I was frightened that it was not loud enough because my old amp, a Musical Fidelity M6si have 220 W at 8 Ohm do drive my 4 Ohm loudspeakers with a sensitivity of 85 dB, but with a bias of 1,3 A it is absolutely no problem.
My second fear was how will it sound, is it worth all the time and the money I invest (when I do it, then I want to do it at the right way (the first time) and buy "some butik parts). The first conclusion is there was no reason to fear.
It sounds great, with a much bigger base (which surprised me totally) as my old amp and it is more relaxed. The old one shows every detail of the music, even with my loudspeakers which are a little bit like monitors. That is very interesting but in the same way some times a little bit exhausting.
After listing a few hours to the music I can confirm that Adele loves this amp (as Ggetzoff wrote). Dire Straits and Eric Clapton loves this amp too! :cool:

So that is it for the moment. I am very interested in how it will sound after the burning in period and with a good preamp (all suggestions are welcome).
My thoughts go in the direction of a Kuartlotron or maybe a USSPA (if I could get one , Hello FAB! ;) ).

I will keep you informed as it develops.

At last a big thank you again to Fab who gives us the possibility to built this amp and for his time and support. Also proposes for Project16, Pinocchio and Prasi for their PCBs, kindness, support and suggestions.

Have a nice day and enjoy the music.
André

Last edited:
Thank you André, I am still missing a few items for my build, but hopefully will be able to complete within the next few months.

In the meantime, it is good to see other fellow DIYers active and completing their projects. :)

Keep us updated with more listening impressions as you spend more time with your new set up.

Hi Andre

Congrats to your build

Re pre-amp, my understanding is that Fab is having the perfect match, and it appears a great one aswell that doesn't change its sonic signature from 0 gain to 16dB gain, which is very unusual and says a lot for the fine tuning that went into this pre-amp...

Regarding you, could you please tell us:
- what are your loudspeakers?
- what distance separate your listening position from them?

I thought that this amp would be to weak for my loudspeakers in terms of power and mostly damping factor in the bass region, but maybe not...

Vielen Dank

Claude

Last edited:
Hi André

Superb achievement!
Indeed the selected components are first choice and this amplifier deserves. Your efforts and your patience are a great reward for the work of Fab to offer us this beautiful design.
I have not heard yet but a priori the USSPA must be perfectly adapted to the USSA-5.
Good listening music.

;)

Hi Emynet

Congratulations for completing this project and I hope we will have more photos and a sound return with the preamplifier.
Good listening.

;)

fab

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Tomtest
Thanks for your report and pictures. I can say your build is impressive ( parts quality, wiring,....). I wish mine would be like that...:rolleyes:

I am glad that the power is enough in your setup.

As for the details, what matters to me is that everything is there but with the right level (natural balance) and overall the amplifier does not sound thin.

Keep us posted once your breakin is completed.

As for your preamp project, I received my small batch yesterday of USSPA PCB so yours is secured -if you want to try it. I will send you a message for the details if you choose to build it.

Fab

Attachments

• 5E065459-6A0B-405B-849F-DDBE8A7C8E1D.jpg
    5E065459-6A0B-405B-849F-DDBE8A7C8E1D.jpg
    987.9 KB · Views: 349
Last edited:
tomtest,

Nice compact work! :cheers: Is that a 3U/400 chassis? Also, can you share what types of decorative screws you used for the back panel? They look very nice.

Thanks,
Anand.

Hello Anand,

thank you for your response. Yes it is a 3U/400 case, after all I wished it was a little bit bigger to separate all things even more. But at the end all fits in. ;)

Yes you have good eyes, I did not like the original screws, the look to cheap to my taste. So I looked around and the best things I could find are these stainless steel countersunk screws M4x14 mm with a washer to fit it for normal use (I hope these are the correct English words). :confused:
Inside with a nut and spring washer to hold it correctly.

Have a look at the attached pictures.

IMG_0215.jpg IMG_0216.jpg IMG_0217.jpg

If you have more questions feel free ask me.

Bye
André

Hello Claude,

thank you for your gratulation. You are right Fab's USSPA must be the perfect match. I would be glad if I could build this too.

As told I was frightened a little bit too. So I can understand your skepticism and maybe I could relieve them with more informations about my loudspeakers.

My loudspeakers are from a formerly East German company called "Musikelectronic Geithain GmbH" musikelectronic geithain gmbh - Home
Their main business are loudspeakers for recording studios and radio companies like the BBC or the German WDR. Their second sector are Hifi-loudspeakers but mainly active speakers. Only a few one are not active, but they are "less expensive"and as all monitor speakers they do not have a good efficiency.

My exact model is the ME 150. The listening distance is about 3,8 meters in an living room under the roof with a lot of angels about 26 m2 and carpet on the floor. For my normal listening volume the USSA-5 with a Bias of 1,3 A is enough. It is still not at the maximum when I hear it loud (for my feeling ;) ).

Hope this helps you.
Bye André

Hi Project16,

thank you, I tried to do my best to select the components and build it well to make sure that the project succeeds. Fab put so much work into this project so this is the least I could do.

I wish you a lot of time and force for your build. Hope it is soon ready to listening.

Have a nice weekend.
André

Hi Fab,

thank you for your kindness. I think you build was much faster then mine, even though I only have to build it after your development and your operation manual. :D

After the first hearing hours I think you reached your goal. As described I was the most surprised that it have a lot of better base than my Musical Fidelity and it is definitely not thin. It is in a positive way relaxed!

Of course I will keep you informed.

You are kidding me "-if you want to try it"! :) Which bride would say no to such an offer? :rofl:
I would be really glad if you gave me the opportunity for that, I am restlessly waiting for your mail! ;)

Again thank you and have a great weekend.
André

Many thanks for all the details André!

These are indeed nice loudspeaker.s They are as you said "average in terms of efficiency" and although not reaching as low as my speakers, nor probably having their torturing low bass impedance (?) - Mine go down to 25Hz at -3dB and have a min of 2.8 Ohms... it is indeed very encouraging somewhere for me to know that this amp works for you.

Well done - please post your listening impression vs the Musical Fidelity once ran in !

BTW, I guess you know already, but if my memory serves me well your integrated amp can be splitted between preamp and power amp, so you could possibly use your amp as pre-amp with the USSA-5... while building your definitive pre-amp. And compare more directly the amps, should you wish so. At least that's what I believe to remember years ago LOL

MFG

Claude

Hello Claude,

You are welcome. By the way what kind of monster loudspeakers do you have?

And yes you are right, the M6si have a pre out, but if you have seen the preamp PCB you would get tears in your eyes. It is sadly nothing impressive.
I will have to find out which one sounds better as a preamp the Marantz AV or the M6si. But I do not expect much from both.

Bye
André

P.S.: Are you from Germany or do you speak German?
Your Profil do not tell anything. ;)

fab

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Fab,
You are kidding me "-if you want to try it"! :) Which bride would say no to such an offer? :rofl:
I would be really glad if you gave me the opportunity for that, I am restlessly waiting for your mail! ;)

Again thank you and have a great weekend.
André
Hi André
Since you previously mentioned also another preamp I was not sure if your choice to start with was done...;)
You also indicated to me a long time ago your possible intention to mount the USSPA so you will be first to obtain your pcb. Since there was no manual, I have started a preliminary one so I will continue to work on it...since the circuit is really simple it will be a very easy assembly and you know now how to adjust bias and dc offset with 2 pots....:p
Also, the pcb is able to receive both USSPA1 and 2 versions.
You will get email!
Fab

Hallo André

Well, I am French but I grew up in Germany so a very long time ago I spoke better German than French. Actually my cherished loudspeakers, a pair of Infinity Renaissance 90, were bought in Germany in 93 - in an american base so they were kind of affordable.

I am now based near Paris, in France. But I couldn't help noticing your signature... I grew up mainly in Dü (the couple of last years half in Bonn), and my sister still leaves in Wu as that's more affordable than Dü but I love that town and of course, 10y there from 8 to 18, what memories !

Regarding your actual set up, well I understand the issue, you are perhaps even better off at the moment driving your amp directly from the CD, who knows. That is, a short time anyway, as all the French reports I read were very positive about the combination of Fab's pre and power amp... so positive they raised my attention.

Schönes WE

Claude