Using The Slide Rule In Electronic Technology

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
started with a nomogram.
Reactance Chart every time.
Frequency - Reactance Nomograph.gif

Reactions: 1 user
I used a Pickett & Eckel slip stick as I went thru the mill. When it got sticky all I had to do was run it thru my hair.
No hair now, what am I gonna do??
As an ex-HP guy you might think I'd be running on RPN & you would be correct. My dayly driver is an HP 67. Got it when they first came out, a company demo. RPN is a great way to go. Problems are solved from the inside out,
just as we did with pencil, paper & slip stick. For paralleled resisters the 1/x key lets the problem be solved by adding
conductance's.
A few years back I bought an HP35s. I don't use it much, the liquid crystal display is nowhere near
as good as the 7-segment LEDS in the 67.
My collection includes two HP 71Bs, one with a 3rd party added memory.
Two HP 2225A printers, an HP 9114B disc drive & a mag tape drive.
And an HP Vectra loaded with WIN 95 including an HPIL interface board that communicates with the 71Bs & the other parts of the system. HPIL = Hewlett Packard Interface Loop. The system never got much traction.

And an HP 10B Financial Calculator. Great for mortgages, loans & all that other crap that needed interest tables.

Early on I spent a year & half at IBM. So got to work on such relics as their 602A electro-mechanical calculator. And the IBM 604. It could add, subtract, multiply & divide. With its 1500 6J6s it could
also heat the building. I/O was on punched cards. The 6J6s were coupled as 1248 BCD.

Probably the old style punched cards with round holes instead of rectangular.
Probably the old style punched cards with round holes instead of rectangular.
IBM used rectangular holes. Think it was Remington?? that used the round holes.
IBM had some kind of patent on electrical sensing of the holes. All others were stuck with mechanical sensing.
Customers leased the IBM equipment, it was not sold.
Thomas J Watson, the Glorious Leader of the IBM of the day is famous for his comment that
he thought the World would get along on something like half a dozen computers!
Look it up. The punch cards were a very large cash cow for IBM, just as film was for KODAK.
Luckily, somebody in the organization thought better, IBM is still out there today.

The scope we used on the IBM 604 was a Waterman S-11-A Pocketscope.
Conveniently, it used 6J6s, just like the 604. These scopes still shew up at swap meets.

Attachments

• Waterman S11A.pdf
    5.2 MB · Views: 69
  • HP RPN 3W.jpg
    HP RPN 3W.jpg
    6.2 KB · Views: 36
I love cardboard slide rules ;like that. One I have in my drawer and have used for years is a quick power calculator for amp output into a load. Yes the calculations are easy anyway, but I can just whip out a solution is a second. I found it very useful.

Print it out. The right side is the body, and you cut out the large black windows. The left side is the slide which goes behind the windows. Volts, ohms, amps, watts. At your fingertips.

Attachments

• Power Calculator Sliderule 1.PDF
    86.4 KB · Views: 60
I love cardboard slide rules ;like that. One I have in my drawer and have used for years is a quick power calculator for amp output into a load. Yes the calculations are easy anyway, but I can just whip out a solution is a second. I found it very useful.

Print it out. The right side is the body, and you cut out the large black windows. The left side is the slide which goes behind the windows. Volts, ohms, amps, watts. At your fingertips.
Right on target.