Using stupidly large caps for a headphone amp?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Yep. And discharging them will be slow too! Things get kinda funky with this much energy storage. But maybe not a problem as the amp draws enough to discharge the caps pretty fast.
Wonder how long th amp would run with the power off? 30 seconds? Or maybe the tubes would be cool long before that.

Um. How would they discharge unevenly, given that they're connected at the ground? They'll try to keep at the same potential, even with different ESRs. Am I mistaken here?

SSMH would be no issue here since it's a output cap coupled design.

I've always assumed that an amplifier may consume current unevenly on the positive/negative rails, and the output stage may remain on till a relatively low supply voltage as the two rails slowly start to fall, and the output DC may slowly get bigger as the amp turns off.

It gets even more fun since I understand you might put a smps before those huge caps. Ripple on an smps is high frequency, so these caps are not going to do much to fight that enemy.

2x300.000 uF would store 0.6 Coulomb of charge for every Volt. So times 48 = 28,8 Coulomb at the voltage you are working at. Which means you need 28.8 A/s to load the caps, which on a power supply that delivers 350 mA implies that the time to just charge your caps would be 28.8/.35=82.3 seconds.

The upside is that your amplifier would play for minutes after switching off power, so you could carry it around the house from outlet to outlet without any disruption.

vac

So, what I need is a low-pass filter, correct?

EDIT:
Confirming that I got this right:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I am correct in this assumption, yes?

Last edited:
Is a bleeder circuit necessary, or at least a good idea?
Well, it's not necessary, but it's a damn good idea if you're tinkering with electronics. The resistance of skin is, at its least, 25k ohms, and it can take as little as 10mA to kill you. With a .33F cap, I would subject my body to 1.9mA. Enough that I can feel it, but not enough to kill. So I am not imminent danger with 48VDC. If, somehow, I was able to run the current through my innards, which is rated at ~100ohms, I would have 480mA running through my body. Given that death is almost certain at 500mA, I don't wanna take that chance.

Me neither. I might, might have some questions about stressing components as the caps discharge, but if there isn't a problem there I too see this as a fun mod that could very well have positive attributes. And since I have many headphone amps but all are solid-state, I'm kinda envious of your fun.

Me neither. I might, might have some questions about stressing components as the caps discharge, but if there isn't a problem there I too see this as a fun mod that could very well have positive attributes. And since I have many headphone amps but all are solid-state, I'm kinda envious of your fun.

Well, I'll have it so that when I turn off the amp, the caps would cut from the circuit, and have the remaining charge be dissipated with a bleeding resistor. So:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
The amp itself will draw down the caps a good bit anyway. You might want to measure just how far they are down after 10, 20, 30 seconds. The bleeder cap may not be needed.

I don't think that 48 volts will be too dangerous to you, tho you can get a good tingle off a 48V battery. It's the damage you'd cause with a stray wire or stray screwdriver on those big caps. Guess how I know. :yikes: Just be aware that you're building a welding rig. No harm, unless you forget.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.