Using rope caulk (mortite) to seal drivers and damp vibrations

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Rope caulk is known to absorb/damp vibrations. So is it common to use rope caulk (mortite) to damp vibrations in car speakers ? I have noticed people use rope caulk in loudspeakers especially to damp the metal basket and sometimes seal the driver-enclosure joint. and also in CD/DVD players to damp vibrations.

Now the guys where I had my stock speakers replaced with Infinity Reference series 3-way 6x9 did a lousy job. They didnt even put a gasket between the driver and the mounting area so I took it back and had them put it in. Anyway, but I was never really satisfied with the bass performance of the speakers. It was kinda boomy and not so clean. Something was lacking. Yesterday I bought some rope caulk and applied it around the driver flange - above and below the mounting panel - so as to create an airtight mount. Then I went ahead and applied some strips of rope caulk on the basket and magnet and also on the metal areas around the drivers too. To my surprise I found a substantial difference in the quality of bass - much cleaner and faster. NOW I enjoy it.

Is there any other alternative(material or method) that might give me better or similar results ??

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.