Using power extension with surge protection for a krell

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Happy New year to all.

In an ideal world I would have dedicated mains sockets for my hifi but I don't.

I'm using two 6 way extensions each (ml speakers, cyrus
Cd/pre - each with psxr and krell ksa 150).

I'm looking at a single 8 way extension which comes in 2 flavours, with and without surge protection.

Will the surge protection interfere with the operation of the krell? I know krells draw a lot of current at power up and I understand that they have current limiting circuitry so don't see it as an issue.

Interested to hear your experiences.

adding many surge protections to your local mains circuitry could result in preliminary tripping of your GFI. small voltage spikes are shorted to ground, unbalancing the load and triggering the GFI. you then have to buy an expensive noise immune GFI.
another solution is to add a true overvoltage protector where the mains enters the house, (in some countries this is a standard requirement)

adding many surge protections to your local mains circuitry could result in preliminary tripping of your GFI. small voltage spikes are shorted to ground, unbalancing the load and triggering the GFI. you then have to buy an expensive noise immune GFI.
another solution is to add a true overvoltage protector where the mains enters the house, (in some countries this is a standard requirement)
The usual recommendation is that the earth leakage current should be less than 25% of the rated trigger level of the RCCB (Residual Current Circuit Breaker). The older term in the UK was RCD

In the UK it is usual for non critical household use that a 30mA RCCB be used.
That then would limit the normal leakage current to <7.5mAac
If the total household leakage is higher than that, then one has the option to provide RCCBs to individual power circuits (fairly easy to do at the house distribution board), or to remove high leakage equipment from the RCCB protected circuits and run separate power to these high leakage circuits (potentially very expensive to install). Older PC monitors of the CRT style often had high leakage that took many RCCBs too close to their trigger level in normal operation.

The RCCBs seeing a normal leakage of <25%, has an allowance to interference and other non dangerous leakage of ~22.5mAac
This is a big allowance for all properly operating and properly maintained domestic equipment.

If one is having repeated tripping of an RCCB, then it's time to call in a qualified Electrician who has the required test equipment to determine which equipment is the cause of the problem and to give advice on the long term solutions.

The wiki RCD description has many mistakes in the introductory paragraph and needs an informed Electrical Engineer to edit it.
Residual-current device - Wikipedia

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.